New Santoku

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmu

Reaction score
So after much deliberation and a new handbag (for Mrs) it's time to buy a Santoku.
Been looking at the Tanaka Santoku Ironwood at JCK for ages however does anyone have any better ideas ?

I have a 240 Tanaka Ironwood gyuto and I have to say it is the best knife I own.
The R2 steel gets super sharp and the edge will out live any of my other knives.
If you decide to get one of these you will not be sorry.
I must also say there are a lot of nice knives out there that are more economical, but if money is not a concern go for the Tanaka.

That Tanaka santoku is a pretty nice looking piece of cutlery, but it's kind of pricy. Why select a santoku over a gyuto? I wouldn't try to talk you out of getting a santoku, but I am wondering deciding factors steered you to the santoku.

While I've never handled these knives from the looks of it this santoku isn't as much of a drop nose as some. It has a more slender pointed tip that seems to go up and not down. I think this would be an awesome purchase for a santoku lover, especially as its tip limits the functionality and versatility line between gyutos and santokus.

Hi, thanks for the replies, I already own a 240 Tanaka Gyuto and a Nakiri so I know how good these knives are.
I have three Gyutos already so do not feel I need another one yet, my small Global santoku is becoming first choice when I only need to prep small quantities

When you say "better ideas" are you asking for an alternative to a 165-ish mm santoku? or an alternative to a Tanaka santoku?

Guess I was thinking of an alternative to the Tanaka

Or even a funayuki...or a petty....
+1 You might also consider a longish petty or short suji. I probably sound like a broken record but I'd probably go for a Heiji 210 suji in semi stainless.

Back