New TF order, advice?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the world of forged knives but after lots of umming and areing over what to get I decided a TF 210mm Maboroshi gyuto with wa-handle.

I not that bothered about f&f but I know some have experienced grind issues so to try a mitigate this to some extent I'm currently in discussion with Gaku and he had agreed to send me pictures of a few blades to choose from.

Whilst I have some limited understanding of what to look for I was just wondering if any more experienced members could give me a few pointers on picking out the right one?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Got a few pics of two knives from Gaku, both 210mm Maboroshi Gyutos
20042701A-08.jpg
20042701A-07.jpg
20042701A-06.jpg
20042701A-05.jpg
20042701A-04.jpg
20042701A-03.jpg
20042701A-02.jpg
20042701A-01.jpg
20042701A-10.jpg
20042701A-09.jpg

Knife A:

Hard to tell from pictures but knife A looks taller around the middle/tip, so I like the angle of the blade better. I'd ask for measurements and weight then choose based on that over worrying too much about low spots.

Based solely on the pics I'd choose 'A'. But a pic of the blade resting on the board will tell you if there is an overgrind going into the edge, which you want to avoid. Overgrinds further up the blade road are of less concern.

If I had to pick from these pics, I'd choose A because it seems a little less wabi sabi, nicer edge profile, but this opinion could change handling them in person. You can see some of the variance in grind from the cutting edge bevel height and a little in how the light bounces off the blade road.

Enjoy it and hope the wait isn't too bad. I've had a denka sitting in a Japanese post office for three weeks now waiting to be shipped to USA. 😭

Enjoy it and hope the wait isn't too bad. I've had a denka sitting in a Japanese post office for three weeks now waiting to be shipped to USA. 😭
Oh no! Sorry to hear that. I wanted mine shipped straight to jobone to fit one of his handles but Gaku told me the Japanese post office had suspended parcels to the US, hopefully it will still be able to come to the UK instead.

Ok so the knife arrived. I must say it's beyond expectations, f&f is fine for me, grind looks good too I'm so happy! It's a beautiful object the handle doesn't quite live up to the blade but it's going to get one of jobone's upgrades anyhow.

I must say the service and ordering experience via TF direct has been fantastic, Gaku is very helpful and willing to help select a knife, etc. The little touches in the box with note, cloth and wrapping really make for a nice Japanese touch.

If anyone is considering ordering from TF I can wholly recommend it from experience, well worth the extra effort for the custom service you receive.
IMG_20200526_160647.jpg
IMG_20200526_162052.jpg
IMG_20200526_161956.jpg
IMG_20200526_163001.jpg
IMG_20200526_162917.jpg

Like a box of chocolates........ ya never know what your gonna get.

Nice looking knife. I think ordering direct is the way to go and have never had a bad experience. Enjoy it!

Back