New to the "Back of House"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

adam_Cullen

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've been a home cook for a while now and was a server and bartender in highschool and college, so I was mainly a FOH guy for years and my experience in a professional kitchen is fairly limited. I just recently took on some seasonal work as a line cook to better improve my cooking and knife skills, so I was wondering if there was any advice some of the chefs/cooks on this cite could offer someone in my position. Any thoughts?

mise_en_place

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pay attention and learn as much as you can. You're going to mess up.

Don't be sorry, be better. Keep showing up to work and you'll get there.

Where are you working, if you don't mind me asking?

M1k3

Bbbbooooo!!!! Liar!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look, listen, clean up after yourself and ask questions (especially when you're not 110% sure how to do something).

What do you have in the way of your own tools now?

adam_Cullen

Reaction score
Pay attention and learn as much as you can. You're going to mess up.

Don't be sorry, be better. Keep showing up to work and you'll get there.

Where are you working, if you don't mind me asking?
sure thing, i am working at this place in north Idaho called Skyhouse. its this ski resort dining on the top of the mountain. great place to get my feet wet in my opinion.

adam_Cullen

Reaction score
Look, listen, clean up after yourself and ask questions (especially when you're not 110% sure how to do something).

What do you have in the way of your own tools now?
thank you for the advice.

i have a Hirogatake SLD 135mm petty, my Kramer Carbon (i am actually looking to replace in the bag, it was just the only chef i had accessible after the move so would also love some reccos for that), and my Global Slicer. besides the knives, i have the basics for a standard roll... shears, micro-plain, fish tweezers, brush, honing rod, spoons, etc..