New to the "Back of House"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam_Cullen

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've been a home cook for a while now and was a server and bartender in highschool and college, so I was mainly a FOH guy for years and my experience in a professional kitchen is fairly limited. I just recently took on some seasonal work as a line cook to better improve my cooking and knife skills, so I was wondering if there was any advice some of the chefs/cooks on this cite could offer someone in my position. Any thoughts?

Pay attention and learn as much as you can. You're going to mess up.

Don't be sorry, be better. Keep showing up to work and you'll get there.

Where are you working, if you don't mind me asking?
sure thing, i am working at this place in north Idaho called Skyhouse. its this ski resort dining on the top of the mountain. great place to get my feet wet in my opinion.

Look, listen, clean up after yourself and ask questions (especially when you're not 110% sure how to do something).

What do you have in the way of your own tools now?

thank you for the advice.

i have a Hirogatake SLD 135mm petty, my Kramer Carbon (i am actually looking to replace in the bag, it was just the only chef i had accessible after the move so would also love some reccos for that), and my Global Slicer. besides the knives, i have the basics for a standard roll... shears, micro-plain, fish tweezers, brush, honing rod, spoons, etc..

Yeah like everyone said before, look, learn and ask questions. It's OK to screw up just say sorry and move on. Also don't start drinking after shift is over, lol.

Yeah like everyone said before, look, learn and ask questions. It's OK to screw up just say sorry and move on. Also don't start drinking after shift is over, lol.
100% this. I've seen more talented chefs than I can count end up wasting their abilities and potential just because they got caught up in the after-hours shenanigans. It also helps to have a goal: whether that's to learn certain skills, to chase after a certain cuisine (or chef), or even to have your own place.

I think the biggest threat for a lot of long-time chefs is that they get comfy where they are (both in skill set and physical space) and they don't have their goals to propel them forward.

Seen too many f ups because people drink before or during their shifts. Seeing it all in NYC from seeing people loosing fingers, burnt, doing lines in the bathroom and many other things. I stopped doing alcohol during my shift after a guy got fired a few years ago.

why tf not??
3D24E8FF-F91C-4226-B8AE-4DAEE663043B.jpeg

Seen too many f ups because people drink before or during their shifts. Seeing it all in NYC from seeing people loosing fingers, burnt, doing lines in the bathroom and many other things. I stopped doing alcohol during my shift after a guy got fired a few years ago.
but you said don't start drinking after shift. did you mean until aftershift csuse thst makes way mor3 sense.

Buy good shoes (Birkenstocks are my choice).

Listen to your chefs and fellow cooks.

Don't drink on the job.

Learn to right labels that are clear and help identify product.... and are puns. Everybody likes punny labels.

but you said don't start drinking after shift. did you mean until aftershift csuse thst makes way mor3 sense.
I said after the shift is over. Doesn't matter, I'm pretty sure if OP is serious about the job he/she will have some common sense.

A TnT in a pint glass is precisely the sort of after-shift perk a cool bartender should offer!--and the owner/manager/supervisor should always be blind to the fact.

Last edited:
DON'T be like the gal that started for me 2day.

First day, she did a little this, little that, everyday tasks. Did fine. But I realized she left a debris field everywhere she had been - even in my office. Work clean. Ask questions (but don't ask the same questions), do the **** jobs - fun jobs will come,. And show up!

Back