New Tsourkan Workhorse Line

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is that like a few makers recently, he's not going to accept customs any more and will be rolling out a semi-custom (handles etc) line.

My understanding is that like a few makers recently, he's not going to accept customs any more and will be rolling out a semi-custom (handles etc) line.
My own experience is that he doesn't even work on custom orders as old as January 2013 and while being more or less responsive to e-mails and promising alternatives at first he then doesn't commit himself to finalizing. I am out of here, there are so many other good makers out there!

Last edited:
I spoke to him on Instragram about this line, he said that he would post 2-4 knives per week, starting sunday 18th of september. Surprised any hasn't come up, if that's the case. Maybe something got in the way?

You really appreciate the infrastructure around the Japanese knife industry. From steel to handles to workers and apprentices, Japan is just set up to make knives as an industry. I applaud some of these craftsman who take it on but many do so for a small amount of time and then move on to something easier. It will be interesting to see if these knives every really come to the market over any duration. He seems like a guy who is trying but having difficulty executing beyond very custom efforts.

I have a pretty good collection of Marko's, so look forward to the day I can try one of these. Is he making them all with his D-shaped handle?

I spoke to him on Instragram about this line, he said that he would post 2-4 knives per week, starting sunday 18th of september. Surprised any hasn't come up, if that's the case. Maybe something got in the way?
Said basically the same thing to me. Im guessing the best thing to do is just stalk his web store and wait for IG updates.
Kippington does make a Kato like workhorse as well, but his is diff hardened. He’s been very responsive and seems to return inquires the same day. Also offers customization. Something to think about.

Said basically the same thing to me. Im guessing the best thing to do is just stalk his web store and wait for IG updates.
Kippington does make a Kato like workhorse as well, but his is diff hardened. He’s been very responsive and seems to return inquires the same day. Also offers customization. Something to think about.

And quite active on here.

Here's a link to a short video I made the other morning with a few thoughts about my Tsourkan workhorse. (I suggest bumping up the resolution if you can.) If you don't want to listen to my somewhat incoherent, pre-coffee ramblings, I can summarize by saying that to my mind it is more of an inspired re-imagining than an attempt at a straight copy, with a sleeker, more refined version of the 'Kato grind', while still maintaining a similar distal taper and stiffness. I rate it very highly.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sVxrb_rysrsma7MZxdNGQ4aFy2W3nFos

Correction: The weight is 283 grams

Here's a link to a short video I made the other morning with a few thoughts about my Tsourkan workhorse. (I suggest bumping up the resolution if you can.) If you don't want to listen to my somewhat incoherent, pre-coffee ramblings, I can summarize by saying that to my mind it is more of an inspired re-imagining than an attempt at a straight copy, with a sleeker, more refined version of the 'Kato grind', while still maintaining a similar distal taper and stiffness. I rate it very highly.

I actually prefer the Tsourkan to the Kato.

Thanks for sharing this. I will be curious to see if he starts producing them on some sort of regular basis.

I actually prefer the Tsourkan to the Kato.

They each feel different to me, even though one is based on the other. Katos have a uniqueness in looks and use that I think few other knives match. I would say, however, that I think the Tsourkan might potentially have more widespread appeal among professionals/enthusiasts as a tool, due to being an overall more balanced knife.

Last edited:
I prefer the Tsourkan Workhorse 52100 over kato , its a better and more refined version of the Kato in my experience.
ill take 52100 over Shiro 2 any given day, also the fit and finish of Tsoukan knives are way better than the kato.
if you are looking for a great performing knife without having to pay Kato price this is the perfect deal.

The knife looks awesome, I put a Shig up for trade and I’m hoping to grab one soon...

Heart Attack Alert: My mother in law was able to knock my Makro workhorse suji off my knife rack, I watched it fall two whole feet, tip first ......... The most silent thud you ever heard ..... miraculously lands on a piece of soft pine I had lying around because I just bought a @RDalman woodcarving knife for fun .... Now the entire 270 suji in balanced tip first (penetrated 20mm in) ... First comment from my MIL "Wow thats like a movie, that must be a really sharp knife" ....

Lesson of the story is 1)don't let your MIL in your kitchen not even to fetch a cup 2)buy more knives as you don't know what could happen 3)Marko's 52100 is so incredibly tough it survived my MIL

All salute the hero of the hour, the wood. i bestowed upon it the highest ranking honour in my household, the orange Hello Kitty sticker.
_20191026_131515.jpeg
DSC_4184.jpeg

@Xenif yikes, your MIL could've lost part of her foot if the knife landed incorrectly. I think all my knives would go into their boxes and stay there for the duration of any future in law visits tbh. I don't trust them

@Xenif yikes, your MIL could've lost part of her foot if the knife landed incorrectly. I think all my knives would go into their boxes and stay there for the duration of any future in law visits tbh. I don't trust them
Flesh regenerates (for the most part) and the pain is fleeting; while tips of knives do not regenerate (for the most part) and the pain last forever in your heart

Flesh regenerates (for the most part) and the pain is fleeting; while tips of knives do not regenerate (for the most part) and the pain last forever in your heart
That's the spirit! Pine carves great I hear, you can soak it 30 min in water even for a better time! I hear that's what they do for "dala-horses" which is a thing here that are still completely carved. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalecarlian_horse

My mind’s eye is playing horrible clips of said mother in law reflexively trying to catch the knife mid fall... :eek:

Last edited:
A couple years ago Dave Martell said the number 1 thing people blamed for their knife horror stories were the MILs.
He did not comment on the validity of the claims.

Just sayin:cool:

A couple years ago Dave Martell said the number 1 thing people blamed for their knife horror stories were the MILs.
He did not comment on the validity of the claims.

Just sayin:cool:

MIL = me, intensely liquored. It's code; those of us who've had to use it as cover recognize it for what it is.

Last edited:
Back