New Website with kitchen related items and other stuff made of wood

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I have been working on a stand alone website to sell some of the items I make with the wood I have accumulated over the years.
So far there are some pendants, boxes and a couple single piece cutting boards. In the very near future I am getting tools that will allow me to make a variety of kitchen related items more efficiently than I have been able to before. Meaning to you, better quality and lower prices.

Some things I am planning to make will be a variety of wooden spoons and utensils, steak boards, serving and cutting boards and knife racks. These will start appearing in the new store over the next couple months. I will not be making end grain or multi piece boards but will try to stay with single piece boards using wood that I think is cool looking.

I still have a bit of work to do before I have everything worked out with shipping and payment processing.
You are invited to take a look around and to share any input you might have in regards to the website and/or future products.

If you see something in the store that you would like to get I can send a paypal request for payment.

The website is at http://arboreal.us

For those who have or will take a look I would like to hear your input about the site design, content and layout.
Even if you want to say something is lame or ugly.

A while back several of the forum members had been asking about personal steak boards.
Was that just a passing fad or something people are still interested in?

How about soft wood single piece cutting boards like cypress or comparable.
Some have been vocal about things like glue lines and hard wood having a negative impact on the sharpened edge?
I am curious if there is a desire for something like this?

I need input from all of you.
Otherwise I will just make sanded boards of figured wood with frogs and skulls carved on them.

The reason I asked about soft boards is because I got some quilted figured Port Orford Cedar pieces with figure that is a once in a lifetime find. The wood is in the same family as hinoki cypress. Even a similar smell. I was thinking about making a few portable boards with some of it but since I will probably never be able to get more like it I don't want to squander what I have.

I would love to have a knife display rack I could have on my counter. Some of my knives are too big for western knife blocks and my cabinets are too low to accomodate a magnetic strip. So now my good knives are in their boxes in a cabinet which seems a sheme.

I would love to have a knife display rack I could have on my counter. Some of my knives are too big for western knife blocks and my cabinets are too low to accomodate a magnetic strip. So now my good knives are in their boxes in a cabinet which seems a sheme.
Do you mean one of the easel types that will hold 4 to 6 knives? Or maybe a magnetic type. Any photos of something that you have seen that you like helps me to understand.

This is a photo of the Port Orford Cedar I mentioned in prior post. The wood has a clean citrus smell.
po.cedara.jpg

Something like this:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Wooden-made-Japanese-Knife-Rack-Knife_50014376698.html

BUT understand that this only holds 6 knives. There's got to be some way to rig it so the pegs can be put on both sets of legs so up to 12 can be out on display. In a nicer wood worthy of what it's holding. Maybe graduated in a V so the spread is wider at the bottom for longer knives and shorter at the top for shorter knives. This would also provide additional stability I would think at it would be bottom heavy.

I would envision this sitting on my counter with the V facing into a corner so the handles are pointed out and the blades are pointed in to the wall for safety if everything wasn't in a saya.

Just my thought. If I didn't find something I liked by next summer I was going to cobble one together. Which would look like crap and completely embarrass me so please save me from myself.

Given how handy most seem to be on this forum I suspect I'm in the minority so not sure how much of a market there may be for this, but it never hurts to ask! :doublethumbsup:

The Captain, I was thinking along the same lines. That is what I meant when I said easel type.
I had thought about shorter pegs and embedding magnets in the uprights.

I saw this online at chef depot and was thinking of a variation of this style as well.
damascus_knife_sets.gif

Now that would work also!
Thank You Captain. Input like yours helps me know what to make. I am not looking for commitments to buy.
Just opinions of what you like and what you would use in your home.

BTW that wood is stunning. Are the boards wide enough to maybe cut into slightly irregular shapes for fruit or chese platters? To thin for even western handles?

Some beautiful curl in that Cedar! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

The boards are over an inch thick so plenty of meat there for handle material.
I might send in a couple blocks to see how it takes stabilizing.
In the past I would cut thin slices of this to line the bottom of boxes I made.
Then whenever you opened the box you smelled a citrus aroma.

I made this rack for small places. 10" or hold 9 knives. but no display but hey it works horizontal or vertical or even under a cabinet I only have one cool looking knife though.

cnc that is a unique knife rack. There are some aspects of the design I like. I think I would like it better with the knives held horizontal.

problem with that rack is it is expensive to make. well 10.00 in magnets I finally found them less the 2.00 each They need to be big ones these hold 25# each. it is not hard to make though. but with wood your looking at upto 20.00 without any labor. my wife is blind so this is easier for her then trying to find a spot on a regular knife rack. I have tested this even upside down and it holds the lives well.

Back