Knives & Stones New Yorker Discount

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
I want to create a universal pricing in the US and can't figure out how to apply automatic discount for NY customers. Please kindly use coupon code: NEWYORKER to get 8% off for new york orders. The overall price should work out similar to states.

Inputs from shopify experts welcome!

As with you I was simply curious but I didn't finish the order, however, if it didn't kick you out with the shipping info my guess is that would process the order with the discount. Hopefully, James will answer.

i dont know, but i tested a boston address and sales tax was 0? if there are just so many states charge tax we will have to just suck it up like aussies, lol.

James, I think all but three or four states have some amount of sale tax. To further complicate matters many U.S. cities also impose their own local sales tax rates. Here in Minneapolis, MN the state charges 6.875%, the county Minneapolis is in (Hennepin) changes 0.65%, and the City of Minneapolis charges 0.5% for a total of 8.0.25%. I believe the cumulative rate for Chicago, Seattle, and L.A. (per M1k3) is 9.5% but there may be cities with even higher total sales tax rates. Hopefully you have a good lawyer and accountant to advise you on these matters.

Seems like it, but almost all of the states have sales tax, and many online vendors have had to start charging it.

i dont know, but i tested a boston address and sales tax was 0? if there are just so many states charge tax we will have to just suck it up like aussies, lol.

Yea, I think on many sites you don’t have to pay state taxes, though. E.g. ordering from JKI is cheaper than picking it up in store, since you avoid state taxes. (At least, last I checked.)

Yeah, as I said, I wish to be able to do an automatic discount, but of course shopfiy doesn't have this function (unless some app or some custom coding). hence I created the coupon code, which again won't allow me to set limits based on location.
The temporatory solution is this hard 10% discount code, that while it would work for anybody on the system level, we probably can't really fulfill them. Anyway, hard to get around this problem huh?

Maybe the 8% New York discount is to off set the New York sales tax for residents of New York?
yeah, that is the idea. I simply don't want to the NY customers to feel disadvantaged, so the current solution is to to give out the discount code.
I want to have a broader sense of the US market first, before fine tuning everything.

Mandatory sales tax has been hitting many states this year. Many online retailers are now applying/ collecting. It's even being applied at eBay now from what I understand (Amazon, Newegg, etc. have all been applying VA sales tax for a while now).

Oh, hey! This is my field. So just have this info out there, after the 2018 Supreme Court case South Dakota v. Wayfair, nexus (or economic presence, loosely) was redefined to include more than just physical location. Previously (and very roughly), if you didn’t have a physical presence in an area, you didn’t have to charge sales tax for sales made to states that you don’t regularly do business in.

After SD v. Wayfair, if an online vendor makes more 200 sales in a state or over $100,000 in sales to a state then they now have economic nexus and are required by law to collect and remit sales tax for sales made to residents in those states.

Now I have no direct knowledge of how many sales are made by many of our vendors to different states, but I suspect that many of the larger ones are non-compliant (mostly due to that 200 transactions part).

I say this not because I want to shed a spotlight on people not doing things correctly, but because I don’t want them to get in hot water. Should they get audited, they could easily rack up tens of thousands of dollars in fines and back taxes per state that they’re non-compliant with. That could easily put many of them out of business I imagine.

I’m also pretty sure that due to the newness of the law that there would be no problem if they registered and started collecting and remitting sales tax for these transactions even if they technically should have been doing so earlier.

If anybody has any further questions please feel free to direct message me. Also, legally, I can’t give advice on these matters, but I can point you at resources that can help clarify!

Also! I don’t mean this in scary way at all!

I have absolutely no idea how many transactions our vendors make in every state. I really love the community and want to see them all succeed, so I’m trying to put this info out there so that people don’t get in to trouble by accident.

Mandatory sales tax has been hitting many states this year. Many online retailers are now applying/ collecting. It's even being applied at eBay now from what I understand (Amazon, Newegg, etc. have all been applying VA sales tax for a while now).

Oh, hey! This is my field. So just have this info out there, after the 2018 Supreme Court case South Dakota v. Wayfair, nexus (or economic presence, loosely) was redefined to include more than just physical location. Previously (and very roughly), if you didn’t have a physical presence in an area, you didn’t have to charge sales tax for sales made to states that you don’t regularly do business in.

After SD v. Wayfair, if an online vendor makes more 200 sales in a state or over $100,000 in sales to a state then they now have economic nexus and are required by law to collect and remit sales tax for sales made to residents in those states.

Now I have no direct knowledge of how many sales are made by many of our vendors to different states, but I suspect that many of the larger ones are non-compliant (mostly due to that 200 transactions part).

I say this not because I want to shed a spotlight on people not doing things correctly, but because I don’t want them to get in hot water. Should they get audited, they could easily rack up tens of thousands of dollars in fines and back taxes per state that they’re non-compliant with. That could easily put many of them out of business I imagine.

I’m also pretty sure that due to the newness of the law that there would be no problem if they registered and started collecting and remitting sales tax for these transactions even if they technically should have been doing so earlier.

If anybody has any further questions please feel free to direct message me. Also, legally, I can’t give advice on these matters, but I can point you at resources that can help clarify!

Really interesting. Thanks!

Also! I don’t mean this in scary way at all!

I have absolutely no idea how many transactions our vendors make in every state. I really love the community and want to see them all succeed, so I’m trying to put this info out there so that people don’t get in to trouble by accident.
Thanks for the insight. So basially at this stage, at least in 2019, I don't need to worry about charging tax other than NY, so my temporary discount works (for now).

Luckily Shopify handles all the tax, so all good for now!

James, I'm a Brooklynite, welcome to my borough!

I just bought a Wakui Gyuto, took the discount, got the same price as everyone else.

Thank you. More than fair.

As a sort of payback for being treated so nicely, here's a little website, the United Nations of Food, some guys attempt to sample the food from every nation represented in the UN inside the five boroughs. Sure, I'll quibble with his choices but can't fault his ambitions!

http://www.unitednationsoffood.com/

Best of luck on your new venture.

Rick

Sales tax In the US is a super complicated matter....

It doesn’t only depend on which state you’re in or selling to (and NY is definitely not the only state with a sales tax), it also matters what kind of product you’re selling. Because not only does sales tax vary from state to state, it also often varies IN STATE depending on the product.

(In)famous example: there is sales tax in New Jersey, but NOT on clothes....

Meanwhile (IIRC) there is sales tax on clothes in NYC, but only for items above a certain value ...

Back