Newbie Check in

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teeth

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm very new to learning about knives and sharpening, although I do have some basic sharpening knowledge from being a boy scout.

My first impulse for joining the forum is for advice as I look to fill out my collection, although I'm excited to see what else I can learn and contribute to the forum. In particular I'm looking to read up on various steel types and production techniques--at the moment it seems to me like there are so many factors that influence the ultimate quality of the blade and its all a bit mystifying to me still.

Updating to add: I have a little experience in professional kitchens, but I'm out of the game now so my primary interest in knives is for home cooking. Ideally looking for knives that could suit either home cooking or a professional environment as the office drone life is getting quite old and I might want to get back into cooking professionally part time.

Additionally, I don't have any experience with high carbon knives, but I'm keen on getting familiar with them. My main concern is that I should hold off on getting any knives above 58 rockwell while I'm still a major noob at sharpening.

Last edited:
Back