Newbie from NY - Shopping Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edilomot

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Darek and I'm polish but living in NY for last 15 years.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's but I gyuto will be my pick, slicer, utility knife, paring knife, bread knife, prep knife and santoku. I know that chef's or gyuto could do almost everything but I don't have that skills

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese, D if possible

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Gyuto 210 mm, Santoku 165 mm, rest usually

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes, since I don't know if my wife will remember to maintain properly, I think VG10 would be my pick

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Well, Gyuto $150 down, rest keep bellow $100

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Everyday cooking

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
I have Shun Chef's Classic 8', bought for $60 new

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Trying to go with pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Still learning

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Profile is main goal, but I want to make another step forward with Japanese knifes

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Finish is important to me, like Damascus even if didn't improve nothing

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
open for all

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Would be nice ready to use from the box, less reactivity with food

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Planing to take sharpening classes and will need suggestion where in NY

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
I made big mistake and let use my wife hard plastic board, chipped my Shun, will go with maple wood board

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
If get knifes will take classes or practice on my Shun before touch new babies

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Please let me know what do you like, suggest or with what I should stay away, decision will be mine but need advices. Shun was my starter before I google and start reading, found that many like Shun, Miyabi... is overpriced but I'm glad that have Shun for stater.
I found that Tanaka knifes are better then theirs price, only problem for me is theirs finish, handle isn't finished and could with time smell bad.
Thinking about one of them but please suggest others:
Tanaka Damaskus santoku 165 mmm VG10
Tanaka Damaskus Gyutou 210 mm VG10
Tanaka Damascus petty 150 mm VG10
I'm not Tanaka (metalmaster, great prices)lover but like the price and opinion about MrTanaka knifes, don't like it how they are finished but done. I'm open for others brands, maybe even different steel as longest will stay in my price range.

Back