Newbie Nakiri Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kennyg2019

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a good, lightweight Nakiri knife (6.5" or 7")...blade height around 2", a flat blade with a rounded tip for under $200 for chopping vegetables. The handle can be any material. I'm an advanced amateur home cook.

Any suggestions?

I have a Mercer Renaissance chef's knife but it's a little heavy.

Thanks!

Ken

Last edited:
Mazaki makes them flat flat, but it has a pointy tip with low blade height. around that price range masakage makes many under many different smiths and lines. Much taller, rounded tip and most of them stainless clad.

Cheapie tosa nakiri may also be an option. Mine is probably the thinnest knife I have.

You'd think Kenny G could buy a nakiri for a song...

🥁 :p
Hey, I resemble that remark 😅
4A78CF5A-0ABD-4DE2-9FD0-323D77F75FC2.jpeg

Mine is the migaki (smooth) version but if I was to get another today it would be that one, the nashiji version.
What about this bad boy…is it heavier? What’s the difference (besides color and aesthetics)?

Attachments

• B5D89BA6-81D0-4D21-AEF7-317BAA94708B.jpeg
    B5D89BA6-81D0-4D21-AEF7-317BAA94708B.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mazaki makes them flat flat, but it has a pointy tip with low blade height. around that price range masakage makes many under many different smiths and lines. Much taller, rounded tip and most of them stainless clad.

Cheapie tosa nakiri may also be an option. Mine is probably the thinnest knife I have.
Tosa nakiri - great choice!

Reactions: Pie
I LOVE my new Nakiri knife! ❤️ The quality, beauty, lightness, and handle far exceed any other knife I own!

1665928782174.png

The only thing is I miss the rounded point of my Santoku, especially for dicing.

Can someone suggest a Santoku of equal quality and price (<$200)?

Thanks for your patience with a newbie...and forgive me for saying the "S" word! 😜

Back