Newbie with a newbie question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pachowder

Reaction score
Hi all. New to the "fine" knife world. I have always been about getting the best first (best doesn't always mean most expensive). So anyway, I have a few wusthof ikon knives but want to branch into the world of quality knives. I know about sharpening being a woodworker and straight razor shaver. So, my question to you all is where do I start? I mean, I am not a pro chef just a home kitchen cook. I don't need a cleaver. Would I be looking strictly at 8 inch gyutos, nakiris? I don't need alot of knives but the few I do buy, I want to be quality. Plus I like having things most people don't know about. My friends and family know wusthof and shun but have no clue about Murray Carter's or devin Thomas. So, any "outlines" for a well stocked home kitchen set? Phew that was alot to type on the ipad

Lol, runaway before this happens

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/4261-Tom-s-knives

On a more serious note I'm sure plenty of people will offer suggestions but a 240 gyuto is a good place to start. Some more detail on what you like and what you don't like will help to tailor responses? Eg thinner or thicker, stainless or carbon, Damascus, kuro uchi or plain steel, which of your current set you use most and what you like about it is a good place to start

Welcome to the forum :)

Lol, runaway before this happens

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/4261-Tom-s-knives

On a more serious note I'm sure plenty of people will offer suggestions but a 240 gyuto is a good place to start. Some more detail on what you like and what you don't like will help to tailor responses? Eg thinner or thicker, stainless or carbon, Damascus, kuro uchi or plain steel, which of your current set you use most and what you like about it is a good place to start

Welcome to the forum :)

Ha. I know that feeling. I was like that with handplanes and straight razors! My straight razor disorder stopped with my 3 customs (a Charlie Lewis, butch harner and Robert Williams).

Anyway, my most used is the 8 inch chefs knife and paring knife. I have been thinking about a nakiri since we do alot of vegetables. I haven't tried any real thin blades but watching some videos over at cktg has be wishing I could slice tomatoes that thin! Steel? Unsure but i take great care of things so wouldn't worry about rust as I clean and dry them all right away.

OK here's what you do if you want the very best in short order:

Buy a Suisin Inox Honyaki Gyuto.
Use it.
Trade it for a Takeda AS 240.
Use it.
Trade it for a 6.2 Sun Carter SFGZ Funayuki.
Use it.
Trade it for a Konosuke HD gyuto.
Use it.
Trade it for a Hiromoto AS gyuto.
Use it.
Sell it.

Using your newfound knowledge about your preferences, call a custom maker, and commission the perfect knife for you. I assure you this will work.

Buy a Suisin Inox Honyaki Gyuto.
Use it.
Trade it for a Takeda AS 240.
Use it.
Trade it for a 6.2 Sun Carter SFGZ Funayuki.
Use it.
Trade it for a Konosuke HD gyuto.
Use it.
Trade it for a Hiromoto AS gyuto.
Use it.
Sell it.

Hmm. Dunno if I'd agree with that order, but it's an interesting idea. It depends on whether someone has the self-discipline to actually sell off or trade off the knives before moving on to the next. Most of us around here seem to have skipped that part of the process ;)

we are allowed to have less knives than we start with? I dont understand...does not compute. LOL

...Using your newfound knowledge about your preferences, call a custom maker, and commission the perfect knife for you. I assure you this will work.
Cute, Eamon. To the OP: Make sure you let us know if it works or not. In my experience, it's highly dependent on who you commission.

Back