Newbie's mistake? Did I damage my new kitchen knife while sharpenning?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 46382

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm an amature cook making his first steps in the kitchen knife world.
I got my first Berox Santoku knife and a Berox handheld sharpener.

Curiously and maybe foolishly I ran the knife through the sharpener a couple of times, just to get the feel. Afterwards I noticed significant, alarming scratches on both sides, slightly above the edge.

What's your opinion? Did I make a fatal mistake sharpenning a new knife? Or is this kind of damage just 'cosmetic'?

Pictures would be useful- IME, few sharpening "machines" marketed to home cooks are worth the cost + such solutions often do more dammage than good.

If you're new to sharpening, best try to learn how to use stones and perhaps a honing rod, start on some knife cheap enough so you won't cry if you scratch it up but with good enough steel so it CAN be sharpened. Then, once you have some experience, work on to your nice cutlery.

And welcome to the forum!

I make all kinds of mistakes being a new sharpener. Just keep in mind that just about anything can be fixed. Stick to cheap knives for awhile.

Beginners mistakes I’ve made.

Buying cheap amazon stones.
Dinging up the apex on a few knives.
Trying to polish a cheap kitchen knife, waste of time.

Well, did it feel sharper when you were done?
Scratches happen, chips are bad.

I make all kinds of mistakes being a new sharpener. Just keep in mind that just about anything can be fixed. Stick to cheap knives for awhile.

Beginners mistakes I’ve made.

Buying cheap amazon stones.
Dinging up the apex on a few knives.
Trying to polish a cheap kitchen knife, waste of time.

People automatically feel only experiments which show a positive outcome/give some desired result are of value. But ALL outcomes provide usefull information- I learned useful things from sharpening experiments that didn't get me the effect I was trying for.

(I DID get lucky on cheap but useful NATURAL stones from Amazon or Etsy 3 times out of 5 buys. On man made stones, I think you usually get what you pay for- Or less)

You're rubbing a piece of steel on a rock (or other abrasive), you would have to do something very wrong, for a long time, with a lot of pressure, to kill a knife blade. Not to say you won't ding it, scuff it up and commit other minor offenses.

Seems like there are a half dozen or so active members on here from Israel, including at least one maker. Perhaps you could start a topic looking for some help? Would also encourage you to get a decent stone(s), watch a JKI or the other good utuber and start learning to rub that rock the right way. You'll know you're developing proficiency when the knife is sharper when you finish than it was when you started.

It's not fatal but I would throw that pull-through "sharpener" in the garbage. They are terrible on edges. They just tear up the edge to give a sense of sharpness that is fleeting at best.

Back