• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Newham Western Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a couple still available on Will's site... and if you buy them I can't be tempted to blow my budget on one.

Yeah I've been looking at them a lot. I do really like the look of that 220 with Amboyna burl. Part of me wants to try some of his honyaki too though. Would also want a bit more heel height on the 230 but that's just me being picky.

Gone are the days when you could buy one of Will’s knives for $200. Then again, todays versions are worlds apart from those early examples.

You turned me onto his knives. Was initially turned away when I didn't think to convert the currency and thought they we're thoroughly out of my price range. But once I realised and then missed out on the spicy white he discounted I have been looking at his stuff a lot since. How are they geometry wise? I'm only going on the choil on the 220 I've been looking at but it seems fairly flat ground at least at the heel.

Will has said repeatedly that he's going to re-open custom orders this year - probably next month.

Your opportunity to go wild on that heel height!

Yeah I've been looking at them a lot. I do really like the look of that 220 with Amboyna burl. Part of me wants to try some of his honyaki too though. Would also want a bit more heel height on the 230 but that's just me being picky.

You turned me onto his knives. Was initially turned away when I didn't think to convert the currency and thought they we're thoroughly out of my price range. But once I realised and then missed out on the spicy white he discounted I have been looking at his stuff a lot since. How are they geometry wise? I'm only going on the choil on the 220 I've been looking at but it seems fairly flat ground at least at the heel.

My knives from Will are thin (think almost Murray Carter thin) but have what I would call a high flat grind with a continual distal taper to a fine tip. Very nice knives for kitchen work IMO. One of my favourites from Will is his paring knife. Here’s a pic …

51B0BF78-DECA-4A1B-8203-F6BFAA372C23.jpeg

Definitely one of the most used knives in my kitchen. I don’t think he has been making many of them lately.

On mine I’d say a good blend of convex and flat grind. Almost like a wide bevel with a taller shinogi line that’s been thoroughly, and properly, blended. Food release is fantastic, but more importantly the ease of cutting (that “falls through foods effortlessly” feeling) is right on point.

And let’s not forget to mention his fit and finish is second to none. The details are dialed in, nothing overlooked. You get a great performer that fits very comfortable in hand and remains that way throughout extended use.

On mine I’d say a good blend of convex and flat grind. Almost like a wide bevel with a taller shinogi line that’s been thoroughly, and properly, blended. Food release is fantastic, but more importantly the ease of cutting (that “falls through foods effortlessly” feeling) is right on point.

And let’s not forget to mention his fit and finish is second to none. The details are dialed in, nothing overlooked. You get a great performer that fits very comfortable in hand and remains that way throughout extended use.
Agree with this. Falls through the food it touches with little/no effort. I have two newham. A honyaki and a stainless. They are my two favorite knives second only to my custom Kamon. They are amazing and much less expensive and easier to get than a Kamon so if you get a chance jump on one.

Latest posts

Back