Newish Member Looking for Advice on Next Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

Long time listener and first-time caller here. (So hope I followed the right protocol on this post.) I'm a newish member to KKF (joining back in the Spring) and have really enjoyed diving in the rabbit hole of high-quality knives. That said, I thought I'd reach out to the community to get some advice on my next gyuto purchase. Thanks in advance for any/all advice you can offer!

US

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef's knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right-handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Ideally a wa handle.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$750

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
I cook for my family on most nights. LOTS of chopping and slicing veggies. On occasion, I will trim meats depending on the cut.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
I'm not necessarily replacing a knife, but I would like to try out one of the well-established bladesmiths I hear so much about on here (e.g., Tanaka, Toyama). I have to admit I was a bit overwhelmed when I started researching as there were so many options - specifically why certain knives/bladesmiths were so recommended.

If it's helpful, I recently purchased a Wat 180 Pro nakiri and was BLOW AWAY by how well it cut. I was looking to find a similar "wow" factor in a gyuto. That said, as far as gyutos/chef's knives, I already have a Zwilling Kramer 8" carbon (my first jump into higher-end knives) and a Konosuke HD2 240MM laser.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
I typically use a pinch grip.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push-cut (first) and rock (second)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
High carbon knife, good F&F, ideally with smooth choil and spine (thought not a deal breaker) would love a layered/Damascus but also enjoy the simplicity of a San-Mai.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes, Cherry end-grain board.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes. Definitely not an expert yet, but am getting better with each sharpening.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Always open to more purchases.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
If it helpful, I was initially looking into a TF Denka, but a few threads wisely dissuaded me from that. One of the comments said that you should know what you like before taking that plunge. That said, I'm hoping this purchase (or series of purchases?) really helps define that for me. THANKS AGAIN!

If you're chasing that "wow" feeling from jumping up in terms of cutting performance, Watanabe/Toyama ironclad, Kippington, and Myojin have been the best makers I've experienced. Of those, the easiest to obtain is probably a Myojin - his Konosuke lines are hard to snag but his SG2 line, Tetsujins, Nakagawa collabs are all pretty easy to find for under your budget.

Or grab this Toyama dammy from BST and save me the temptation: WTS - Toyama 240mm Dammy K-tip & Takeda 240mm Classic AS Kiritsuke

Also, spend $70 and get a CCK1303. Best cutter per dollar out there.

Bit problematic to order a custom when you don't really know what your preferences are...
I'd lean towards simply trying multiple drastically different knives to zone in on that first.

If you want "wow" cutting performance, you'll be hard pressed to beat Yoshikane. They do have a flatter profile but the slicing performance is amazing.

I'd second something from myojin. His grinds are consistent so need to worry about getting a bad one. Myojin Riki sg2 is excellent for stainless. For carbon, you can find the Nakagawa x myojin Damascus at various vendors. Also tetsujin which doesn't have the Damascus, and is made by a different Smith, but still myojin sharpened.

Another that's harder to come by is the migoto branded blue 1 by y Tanaka. Any y Tanaka b1 is amazing.

One factory/low end, one mid-end, one high end. Gotta know what comes from what. On BF and with BST where it's at, you can easily squeeze all that into budget. For maximum bang for bucks, you could mix a bit of forms into it. Keep the high end purchase towards your initial query then.

I'd second something from myojin. His grinds are consistent so need to worry about getting a bad one. Myojin Riki sg2 is excellent for stainless. For carbon, you can find the Nakagawa x myojin Damascus at various vendors. Also tetsujin which doesn't have the Damascus, and is made by a different Smith, but still myojin sharpened.

Another that's harder to come by is the migoto branded blue 1 by y Tanaka. Any y Tanaka b1 is amazing.
There use to be a really good deal on Nakagawa x Myojin in BST, seller withdrawn later but maybe op can try to contact him.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/nakagawa-satoshi-blue-1-damascus-240mm-gyuto.61448/

Head over to BST and nab whatever knife fancies you is my recommendation. Lots of good knife available and keep an eye out over the next month. We usually see tons of good knives posted over the holidays. Also don't count chinese cleavers out, they are monster for veggie prep.

Nakagawa x Myojin, Tetsujin Metal Flow, or straight Myojin as already recommended; Myojin is an excellent sharpener.

Yoshikane definitely, this one is a great price if you’d like to pick a handle yourself: YOSHIKANE HAMONO SKD Nashiji Kiritsuke Gyuto 210mm (no handle)

Shibata Koutetsu if you want to try a pure laser.

Bjorn Birgersson for around $400 is a really impressive and affordable knife from a Western smith.

Above are all in the $300 - $500 range. If you want to kick it up a notch this beauty is available on Newham’s website

Hi everyone -

Long time listener and first-time caller here. (So hope I followed the right protocol on this post.) I'm a newish member to KKF (joining back in the Spring) and have really enjoyed diving in the rabbit hole of high-quality knives. That said, I thought I'd reach out to the community to get some advice on my next gyuto purchase. Thanks in advance for any/all advice you can offer!

US

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef's knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right-handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Ideally a wa handle.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$750

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
I cook for my family on most nights. LOTS of chopping and slicing veggies. On occasion, I will trim meats depending on the cut.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
I'm not necessarily replacing a knife, but I would like to try out one of the well-established bladesmiths I hear so much about on here (e.g., Tanaka, Toyama). I have to admit I was a bit overwhelmed when I started researching as there were so many options - specifically why certain knives/bladesmiths were so recommended.

If it's helpful, I recently purchased a Wat 180 Pro nakiri and was BLOW AWAY by how well it cut. I was looking to find a similar "wow" factor in a gyuto. That said, as far as gyutos/chef's knives, I already have a Zwilling Kramer 8" carbon (my first jump into higher-end knives) and a Konosuke HD2 240MM laser.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
I typically use a pinch grip.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push-cut (first) and rock (second)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
High carbon knife, good F&F, ideally with smooth choil and spine (thought not a deal breaker) would love a layered/Damascus but also enjoy the simplicity of a San-Mai.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes, Cherry end-grain board.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes. Definitely not an expert yet, but am getting better with each sharpening.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Always open to more purchases.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
If it helpful, I was initially looking into a TF Denka, but a few threads wisely dissuaded me from that. One of the comments said that you should know what you like before taking that plunge. That said, I'm hoping this purchase (or series of purchases?) really helps define that for me. THANKS AGAIN!

Follow your passion, get a denka, they're awesome gyutos, love mine. Since you're in DC, I'd recommend stopping into DC Cutlery, holding a denka, chatting with them—it'll be over your budget, so you'll have to save up a bit more. Trust your gut—if online forum threads dissuaded you from getting a denka, then you probably didn't really want one that badly to start with.

There're a tonne of gyutos from which to choose in your price range.

Thanks, everyone! Super helpful replies with a ton to think about. My wish list has definitely grown bigger since posting! I also had a chance to go to District Cutlery today (a perk of living in DC) and test out a few higher-end gyutos mentioned in this thread. It really changed the game to feel some of them in my hand. I was really impressed with a Murray Carter they had in stock, which would take me in a whole different direction. Thanks again!!

Thanks, everyone! Super helpful replies with a ton to think about. My wish list has definitely grown bigger since posting! I also had a chance to go to District Cutlery today (a perk of living in DC) and test out a few higher-end gyutos mentioned in this thread. It really changed the game to feel some of them in my hand. I was really impressed with a Murray Carter they had in stock, which would take me in a whole different direction. Thanks again!!
What did you think of the denka at DC Cutlery?

What did you think of the denka at DC Cutlery?
It was good to see it in person. I checked out the 240mm western handle, and it was a beast! (In a good way) It was helpful to check out the wabi sabi on my own (e.g., less than straight tang, some F&F issues). Also, Ryan showed me an example of one he had given the "spa treatment" versus one he did not. Overall, the denka is definitely still on my list, though maybe a few clicks down?

Back