Stefan's News from the shop

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had it as a teen, it sucks! Breath easy, get well.

Mikey

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that Stefan.
I also happen to develop some kind of allergy/snuffle lately that doesn't makes life any better.

Please let me know how this crazy space helmet works for you. I might also need something like this one day.

Take care.

I will never buy any more wood again. Ever. I'm done. That's it. I will burn all my credit cards and get drunk enough to forget the numbers. Wood sellers are evil.

Stefan

$_12.JPG

$_12 (1).JPG

Duuuuude! That bottom board is sweet! Love the curl:tongue4:

Be well,
Mikey

I will never buy any more wood again. Ever. I'm done. That's it. I will burn all my credit cards and get drunk enough to forget the numbers. Wood sellers are evil.
Even with my very limited woodworking experience I can feel your pain. Don't know how many times I told myself it's time to stop buying any new wood. But are seriously sick, so words and promises don't help anymore. Not sure if burning credit card will do :)

Btw, please let me know if you decide to sell some of those beautiful pieces :)

Sorry, Myron ;) I know somebody who actually freezes her credit card when funds are low - in a bag of water, so she cannot use it for impulse buys. As for selling, I am thinking of selling a few dozen blanks across my stash toward the fall, just to recoup some of the capital sitting dead on my wood shelves right now. But it's not my highest priority, gotta get handles done first.

Stefan

Just got back from the Big Island. Let's rephrase that: From NOW on I will never buy wood again. :)

Stefan

What can I do, there are koa trees all over the place;)

Stefan

The level of personalization in advertizing on Facebook is getting frightening. Just got this today:

front.jpg

Stefan

Quick update again:

As most of you know, I had taken on more than I could handle (pun intended... :) ), and things have piled up over time. At this point, I have given up a bit - NOT given up on trying to finish whatever I committed to, but given up on making predictions about how long things will take. All the predictions I made in the previous year were totally off, so at this time I just keep plowing along as good as I can, finishing whatever I have on my list, and then checking back whether handles are still needed or wanted. I actually did work pretty regularly in the past months, but I have so many handles on my bench that it's a very slow progress. It might look better to do them sequentially, one after the other rather than in larger batches, but I am deciding as I go along to see what looks to be the most efficient strategy. Between working a full-time job and a teaching job, I am doing my best but seem to be overly optimistic about the speed at which I can do my best. Occasionally, my old nemesis depression has also been raising its ugly head again in the past months and affecting my overall drive and motivation, so it is sometimes difficult to tell apart whether I am just exhausted or depressed. And finally, I have never been heavier and more out of shape which certainly does not help. Not whining or fishing for sympathy, just thinking that I owe those of you who trusted in me to follow through with what they ordered an honest explanation.

Just to give you an idea: between a larger order, the handles on my order list, extra handles I threw in here and there, and a set of cheaper handles I wanted to offer, I have about 140-150 handles on my bench - and about 120 of those already look like handles and are jn the final stages of being finished. So, there is light at the end of the tunnel, but the train is still moving slower than I had hoped... Fortunately, there are others who have jumped in and started offering handles for those of you who are - understandably - less patient. My goal is definitely to reduce my order pile and then limit the number if custom orders I take on, making more of my own ideas in my own time instead, hoping someone finds them interesting enough to buy one here and there.

Thanks for reading. I will keep you posted as things are moving. I am hoping that I will have to show a few pieces - custom orders and extras - in the coming month, but my priority is on getting a larger order out the door and off my shoulders. That should set free all kinds of energy. We'll see...

Stefan

Just keep plugging Stefan. I don't think a lot of people realize how productive you really are, it would take me about a year and a half to produce 150 handles.

Be well my friend,
Mikey

I can't speak for everyone, but I know I'm willing to wait for a quality product. I'll wait as long as it takes.

Thank you, guys. If people here weren't generally so nice and understanding and said nice things about my work, I probably would have given that up a couple of years ago, although I still have fun once I get to it. So, cheering is always good, but otherwise I just have to plow through. Maybe I can outsource some of the work steps on some pieces, thinking about that right now. While I can use the cash, at this time it's more important to get the pressure of running behind off my back, than maximizing profit. Of course, you can always buy a lottery ticket and share if you win something ;)

Stefan

Hi there, just thought I'd post an update because I have not been hanging out here as much lately. After all kinds of drama, things were pretty stable for a while, the main problem being that I hate my job and in spite of having been flown in for a few interviews on the mainland I did not land anything, jobs going to the younger people. But that's probably not too different from what others here are experiencing. What changed over the past few weeks is that my work contract ends at the end of September, and against all expectations it is unlikely to get extended because the bureaucrats managed to lose a million $$ in funding because they did not get their act together. Since my current job does not even cover all my expenses, I increased my debt over the years and I am always about 1-2 months away from bankruptcy, so that could be an issue... When I applied for the last local academic job a couple of months ago I was told the position would not be filled while the department, at the same time, offered it to a friend - too stupid to realize my friend and I would exchange notes. I can see that they needed somebody with her degree on paper even though I am more experienced, but shabby nevertheless IMHO. Then a few weeks ago I got notice to move out of my apartment within 30 days because the house is getting sold. My car turns out to need an expensive repair on the brake system and new tires to pass the inspection. Yesterday I got a letter from the IRS who want money from me (rightfully so, I just had hoped I could delay it). So, I am ready to stay in bed for a couple of weeks and pull the blanket over my head. Does anybody happen to know next week's winning numbers for the Powerball? ;)

Anyway, I am still doing little things here and there in the shop, I have a couple of more things to send out, a few corrections to make on some handles, put on a replacement handle or two, and a bunch of other small things. I am trying to squeeze those in as I can, but I think packing moving boxes will have to become a priority pretty soon. After that, it's back to juggling work, job applications, and working off my order list. Oh, btw, my handle website just got hacked - again - and the host shut it down. I will have to have it cleaned by pros but that is not the highest item on my list right now.

Stefan

So sorry to hear about your troubles Stefan. You know this forum has a great support system when needed. Please let us know what we can do for you.

I've heard that bad luck comes in threes, but this is something else. I'm sorry to hear that things have taken a turn in the wrong direction, but as was said there is a good support network here (not sure if we can help with the lottery numbers though)

Sorry to hear of your troubles :-( It's usually hard for me to feel sorry for someone who lives in Hawaii, but man that is definitely a huge pile of poop dropped down on you.

Any DIY possibilities on the brake repair to save some $? Pad/ disc/ caliper replacement is pretty easy if you have the tools. You might even find a car forum for your make/ model and see if there is anyone local with some experience who is willing to help you out.

Back