Next vs El Bulli

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That video is awesome. Sounds like you will be having a great night!

How on earth did you get tickets?

I am asking the same thing. I have been logging into that website several times a day for the last six weeks. I assumed (maybe wrongly) that the tickets hadn't gone on sale yet as the website still advertises the 'childhood' theme and there have been no twitter posts except for the video you mention. Did I miss the ticket sale?

Regardless, congrats to you on getting to eat at the restaurant few people actually get to eat at.

k.

Since Next opened, my wife and I have been fortunate enough to score quite a few tickets for all of the menus. We've made friends with many of the staffers and have become regulars I guess, if that's possible there. Long story short, there were invitations sent out to friends and loyal patrons to enjoy the first week of el Bulli.

Since Next opened, my wife and I have been fortunate enough to score quite a few tickets for all of the menus. We've made friends with many of the staffers and have become regulars I guess, if that's possible there. Long story short, there were invitations sent out to friends and loyal patrons to enjoy the first week of el Bulli.

I'm so jealous right now. You better take lots of pictures, and enjoy yourself! :doublethumbsup:

We will do our best to document every course if possible. I haven't been this excited for a restaurant since Alinea.

Maybe I missed it. Haven't seen a single mention regarding the price of these tickets????

How did you miss it! You were on top of this all the way. Too bad, I was looking forward to reading your report. Now it's all on Pete to fill us in.

Maybe there will be some tickets on the black market, though I imagine they will cost a pretty penny.

El Bulli is a 29-course menu, inclusive of food and beverage, for $ 365.

Sicily and Kyoto pricing for food for tables of 2 and 4, per person, is:

Wednesday / Thursday / Friday / Saturday / Sunday
$ 85 $ 90 $ 100 $ 110 $ 90

Beverage pairings for Sicily and Kyoto are:

Non-Alcoholic / Standard Wine / Reserve Wine
$ 48 $ 68 $ 90

The 6-person kitchen table is priced at $ 165 with $ 110 for the beverage pairing.

And I don't think this includes gratuity.

k.

El Bulli is a 29-course menu, inclusive of food and beverage, for $ 365.

Sicily and Kyoto pricing for food for tables of 2 and 4, per person, is:

Wednesday / Thursday / Friday / Saturday / Sunday
$ 85 $ 90 $ 100 $ 110 $ 90

Beverage pairings for Sicily and Kyoto are:

Non-Alcoholic / Standard Wine / Reserve Wine
$ 48 $ 68 $ 90

The 6-person kitchen table is priced at $ 165 with $ 110 for the beverage pairing.

And I don't think this includes gratuity.

k.

I hope i'm getting this wrong.

365 for a 29 course..?
I must have misunderstood this..

365 for a 29 course..?

The reason why it is so much more expensive than Sicily and Kyoto is that they cannot turn the tables during the evening. Only one seating per night.

365 for a 29 course..?
Doesn't sound out of the norm for this level. About the same as The French Laundry. I really want to eat there to see their food and presentation"plating."

The reason why it is so much more expensive than Sicily and Kyoto is that they cannot turn the tables during the evening. Only one seating per night.

Doesn't sound out of the norm for this level. About the same as The French Laundry. I really want to eat there to see their food and presentation"plating."

I was thinking if was too low to be true. I mean, that's just a silly price making me feel ashamed for the restaurant-business in Sweden. But then, it's so much more expensive running a restaurant here and most estabilishments are already running on a bare-minimum winnings.

But 365 for 29 courses is too low for me to comprehend.

I was thinking if was too low to be true. I mean, that's just a silly price making me feel ashamed for the restaurant-business in Sweden. But then, it's so much more expensive running a restaurant here and most estabilishments are already running on a bare-minimum winnings.

But 365 for 29 courses is too low for me to comprehend.
How long does a 29 course meal take. That is hard for me to wrap my mind around.

$365 is a hell of a lot more than I've ever spent on myself for dinner, but in this case, it sounds pretty reasonable. I would happily pay it for the experience, but don't make enough money to do it very often.

That's the around the minimum price we take for a seat at our chefs table, around 5 courses that is.
2500 swedish kronor to 5000 swedish kronor. So around 350 to 700 dollars per person, for 5 courses.

So El Bulli seems more than reasonable.

When I ate at Alinea a couple years back the bill for two ran about $700. Just keep in mind that $365 is without gratuity and you still have to drink something. If you do the pairing at $90 (I think) and add 20% it gets up there.

k.

When I ate at Alinea a couple years back the bill for two ran about $700. Just keep in mind that $365 is without gratuity and you still have to drink something. If you do the pairing at $90 (I think) and add 20% it gets up there.

k.

I'm pretty sure the $365 includes wine pairings.

You know, I'm not starving, and occasionally spend more than a few dollars on knives, but this stuff strikes me as an almost obscenely ostentatious indulgence on the part of those who can afford it. I would be embarrassed to be seen by some of my friends coming out of one of these places . .

I can put a really good dinner on the table for $30. But then, it's only my wife, my daughter, and myself. Marie Antoinette is dining elsewhere . . .

Hey guys,

The dinner lasted about 4.5 hours and we ended up getting home at 2:00am. I'm about to head into work so no pics or reviews yet, hopefully later tonight if I can muster the energy. All I can say right now is that this team (both front and back of the house) are an amazing group of individuals who can revamp an entire menu and service as fast as they do. Chef Beran was on point with every dish and Will (the GM) had his servers executing flawlessly. Some individuals might ask, is it worth the price? Absolutely, the chance to experience an array of dishes from El Bulli (now closed), prepared by one of America's most talented teams is a no brainer...if you love this sort of dining.

Regards,

Pete

Yeah, Yuck it up rich folks.

I don't know about the rich yucking it up. Everyone spends, splurges, and wastes money in different ways. Every weekend in the fall close to a million people pour out of pro football stadiums who could have instead lingered over a meal at the finest restaurant in town. They'd rather splurge on that experience, and I'd rather spend it on knives and good food :)

k.

Back