Nifty shortcut: de-burr with blue scourer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seb

Reaction score
I was touching up various knives (in AEB-L, AS and White#2, mainly) with my Jinzo Renge Suita (synthetic Lotus Suita) #6000-grit, which is plenty fast enough to raise a burr even only after a few strokes...

... and I wasn't in the mood to break out the felt or the newspaper so I decided to try this out:

use the blue (gentle) side of a scourer/scrubbie with stropping strokes (spine to edge in downward motion). Got the idea from the thread about the Takeda handheld stone.

Works real good for me!

In a sort of polishing away from the edge type of motion?

Yeah, like scrubbing but in one direction only.

I'll try it out tomorrow! Yay, Sharpenday!

Btw, I flip the burr a few times to weaken it and then the (well worn) wet blue scrubbie comes out and 'scrubs' the remnant burr away. Same principle as newspaper, really.

Sounds almost too easy....
:D

On a side note, what the hell is this guy doing " :fishslap: " ...a fish? Really??? Haha

Sounds almost too easy....
:D

On a side note, what the hell is this guy doing " :fishslap: " ...a fish? Really??? Haha

I think that one says 'better than a smack in the face with a we fish'. It's an older saying that I used to here in Australia: sorta means 'I'll take it, anyhow'.

do you mean by the sponge side of a scotch brite?

do you mean by the sponge side of a scotch brite?

Not exactly. I mean the ones with a rough green scourer side and a gentler (non-scratch) blue side.

Waitasec, I'll get a pic up...

Here we are, you can see how those fibers are for pulling/dragging off microscopic burrs and yet the surface is gentle enough to not degrade a fresh edge:

scourer003.jpg

scourer001.jpg

Back