Nightmare scenario (you have lost all your knifes) what do you do questionnaire?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can only purchase one, which knife would you buy again?
Yoshikane SKD 240 gyuto (hammer finished) or Itinomonn (semi-)SS 240 Kasumi gyuto. Best all round performers I've ever used. They are so similar that without the kasumi and hammered finish difference I couldn't tell them apart

You can only purchase from one maker (from this point forward) who would it be? (even if they no longer make knifes)
Tanaka

You can only choose one steel, which one?
Ginsanko by Tanaka or SKD by Yoshikane. Love both steels and having several different knives made strictly from either steel would make me more then happy. Though Tanaka ginsan edges by a hair.

both most likely as I share the same thoughts for TF steel!

Correct izinite.
Reason I say TF. I seen his laser knives and his workhorse knives and they are just the best cutters. I don't know why.
I'm surprised people don't refer to his white 1 like a Togo reigo and his blue like ... well I can't believe it's AS. More like ASs (aogami superior super) steel.

yea those are pretty rare so gotta make em count. well in this nightmare scenario i would just force someone else to sell me theirs so that they too can experience this scenario.

Negan-300x300.jpg

Correct izinite.
Reason I say TF. I seen his laser knives and his workhorse knives and they are just the best cutters. I don't know why.
I'm surprised people don't refer to his white 1 like a Togo reigo and his blue like ... well I can't believe it's AS. More like ASs (aogami superior super) steel.

Laser knives? Like the nashiji line? Or like all his lines have thicker and thinner knives (thickness variance)?

Have you tried his honyaki? I take it the forged geometry line is the stuff you like a lot?

I have not tried his honyaki, but I would love to. I've only tried his forged geometry stuff. It's brilliant.

If Catcheside were not an option, my very close second choice would be 240mm Toyama gyuto.

"You can only purchase one, which knife would you buy again?"

Catcheside 220mm thick grind gyuto

"You can only purchase from one maker"

Catcheside

"You can only choose one steel, which one?"

Catcheside's super high hardness 1.2442 tungsten carbon steel

+1

But... I'd choose 1.2419.05 instead of the 1.2442 but really that's cherry picking :D

Laser knives? Like the nashiji line? Or like all his lines have thicker and thinner knives (thickness variance)?

the later at least imo. My nashiji was ok thin spine wise but I further thinned it behind the edge and now it's laserish. My Denka is pretty thin at the edge and up the blade as well.

I would put my 210 denka in the lazer/Mid category, I would put my maboroshi in the workhorse category.
the other denka and maboroshi ive handled were both 210s and i would consider them laser again.

I dont know, TF for me has the feeling of that knife i want to use till its a little nub through usage and sharpening.
I really dont get that feeling with other knives, maybe its that its a good cutter but poorly finished combination. none the less. Im happy i have a couple.

my TF Denka 240! gets mighty sharp, stays sharp, stainless clad, excellent grind, good flat spot and despite the rusticness on the tang and bolster, the actual handle shape is rather comfortable. TFTFTFTFTFTFTF!
😂 😂 😂OK so start to sell me all your katos.. 😂 😂 😂
Well my knife will be a Kato off course.

I would hesitate to call any TF knife a laser. Ground thin at edge and super sharp maybe. I liked my Nashiji the best, a great pure cutter, but with voids in the steel, grinds mismatched and uneven, horrible handle attachment and steel delamination. I liked it even with all its flaws, but just decided to move on to something more refined.

I would hesitate to call any TF knife a laser. Ground thin at edge and super sharp maybe. I liked my Nashiji the best, a great pure cutter, but with voids in the steel, grinds mismatched and uneven, horrible handle attachment and steel delamination. I liked it even with all its flaws, but just decided to move on to something more refined.

so was your nightmare scenario getting TF as opposed to having it stolen? :( ;)

A 240 Global 😂 😂😂 I kid, I kid!

😂 😂 😂OK so start to sell me all your katos.. 😂 😂 😂
Well my knife will be a Kato off course.

hahha i know you love TF! my katos are for collecting :D

hahha i know you love TF! my katos are for collecting :D

You don't use them? They really are built for deconstruction in my opinion. I've used a handful of knifes but I keep turning back to the Kato. Once the patina builds its essentially maintenance free, stays reasonably sharp forever.

Old person here, kind of... Probably would get a Watanabe 240 and ask Shinichi to make it not too chunky - a knife I don’t even have right now. Although, I would also hate to not have my old style 240 Takeda. Fogettaboutit, not an answerable question.

Stefan

apicus, i have the not too chunky wat and it's the best knife i've ever laid my hands on. however i would not want it as my only knife, it's still heavy :D my takeda 270 would do better as an only knife, but still too big plus a smaller takeda defeats the purpose of one.

apicus, i have the not too chunky wat and it's the best knife i've ever laid my hands on. however i would not want it as my only knife, it's still heavy :D my takeda 270 would do better as an only knife, but still too big plus a smaller takeda defeats the purpose of one.

I have that Wat's twin brother and it would be very, very high on my list.

You don't use them? They really are built for deconstruction in my opinion. I've used a handful of knifes but I keep turning back to the Kato. Once the patina builds its essentially maintenance free, stays reasonably sharp forever.

I do use the kasumi but my dammy and ku are for collecting :D

Day and night difference, but I would either buy another 8" Burke or a 210 Gengetsu.

Back