Nihei SLD Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cksnffr

Reaction score
Anyone get their hands on one of these? They seem like extra-refined Yoshikane.

Also curious about Nihei knives. They do look good and he comes from Yoshikane which I have great regards for.

Here's my attempt at a "review" of this knife. The air quotes are definitely necessary. If you're expecting stringer-level quality, you're in the wrong place. I'm a home cook and only own a few knives. So my perspective is definitely limited.

Why I bought this knife: I was in a different home last year and I didn't have a good place to store knives except in my knife block. The largest slot was about 47mm tall, so I sought out a gyuto that was at or under 47mm. I also wanted to try stainless clad because my only other gyuto was iron clad. I e-mailed Craig at CKC back and forth about a few options and decided on the Nihei, mainly because it has a really flat profile and, in my opinion, is a really nice looking knife.

The knife itself: The pictures from CKC are pretty representative of the knife that I received. I would say mine is a bit thinner behind the edge. It's got a very delicate tip. Mine is just over 46 mm tall and 243mm long (rough measurements). It weighs 160g and feels pretty light. The handle is light and the knife is slightly blade forward. The balance point is about at the middle of the first kanji. I think that I felt a gentle convexity to the blade face, but it could be nearly flat. Fit and finish are incredible; no rough spots anywhere. The choil and spine are rounded and polished. After a few coats of oil/beeswax, the handle took on an almost soft feel. Extremely comfortable to use. Finally, the finish on the blade face is gorgeous. At least until a novice like me scratches it while attempting to sharpen.

How it cuts: I don't own a suji and this is my go to slicer. It really does well with cooked chicken. I haven't used the knife a ton in the past month or two, so I did a quick produce test and comparison along with a Tanaka B2 gyuto and Mazaki nakiri. I ran through carrots, potatoes, and green onions for dinner prep and also did a few stalks of kale for the lizard. The Nihei really excels with the lighter produce. It went through the green onions like a dream and made me remember why I used it to prep salads all summer last year. Potatoes were also really easy (though the Mazaki performed better). The down side with the potatoes, and to some extent with the carrots, was food release. Everything seems to stick to the blade face. This is not my go-to for onions or hard produce.

Hopefully that helps.

Here's my attempt at a "review" of this knife. The air quotes are definitely necessary. If you're expecting stringer-level quality, you're in the wrong place. I'm a home cook and only own a few knives. So my perspective is definitely limited.

Why I bought this knife: I was in a different home last year and I didn't have a good place to store knives except in my knife block. The largest slot was about 47mm tall, so I sought out a gyuto that was at or under 47mm. I also wanted to try stainless clad because my only other gyuto was iron clad. I e-mailed Craig at CKC back and forth about a few options and decided on the Nihei, mainly because it has a really flat profile and, in my opinion, is a really nice looking knife.

The knife itself: The pictures from CKC are pretty representative of the knife that I received. I would say mine is a bit thinner behind the edge. It's got a very delicate tip. Mine is just over 46 mm tall and 243mm long (rough measurements). It weighs 160g and feels pretty light. The handle is light and the knife is slightly blade forward. The balance point is about at the middle of the first kanji. I think that I felt a gentle convexity to the blade face, but it could be nearly flat. Fit and finish are incredible; no rough spots anywhere. The choil and spine are rounded and polished. After a few coats of oil/beeswax, the handle took on an almost soft feel. Extremely comfortable to use. Finally, the finish on the blade face is gorgeous. At least until a novice like me scratches it while attempting to sharpen.

How it cuts: I don't own a suji and this is my go to slicer. It really does well with cooked chicken. I haven't used the knife a ton in the past month or two, so I did a quick produce test and comparison along with a Tanaka B2 gyuto and Mazaki nakiri. I ran through carrots, potatoes, and green onions for dinner prep and also did a few stalks of kale for the lizard. The Nihei really excels with the lighter produce. It went through the green onions like a dream and made me remember why I used it to prep salads all summer last year. Potatoes were also really easy (though the Mazaki performed better). The down side with the potatoes, and to some extent with the carrots, was food release. Everything seems to stick to the blade face. This is not my go-to for onions or hard produce.

Hopefully that helps.

quite helpful

Yes, those knives have a particular style I really want to try one

I have a 210. Posted photos in new knives thread a while ago. Incredible fit and finish is correct
! Very nimble, light and thin. Steel is awesome.

I looked. I liked. Think it's going to make the short list. Just gotta wait for LoL to buy one and then bst it....

Definitely thumbs up for the quick review. Im considering snagging the bunka up on CKC right now. Never used a bunka, looking for something for cramped workspace. Kinda questioning the tip, especially if it’s fragile, although maybe my concern is out of proportion. I’ve been spending a lot of time ogling CKCs website, got a bit of analysis paralysis.

A bunka tip is not always fragile.

Can be pretty solid if the grind is bit convexed

At 165mm the taper isn't as pronounced as a gyuto. I find the tips to be rather tough. Bunkas are hot in my work kitchen right now. I have fixed dozens of gyuto tips, yet to fix a bunka.

I got the Bunka from carbon yesterday, and whereas I haven’t used it too much, my initial impression is very, very impressed.

F&F is outstanding. I know the website pics have a reflection with an orange, but it doesn’t do justice as to how much of a mirror the blade is. I also really liked the textured design. It’s like a more spontaneous Shizuku that Kurosaki does, it’s cool.

I only used it today to brunoise an onion and some other small work, and it absolutely fell through. Screaming sharp ootb. Thin, but no feeling of fragility once so ever.

I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up a blade from Nihei.

I got the Bunka from carbon yesterday, and whereas I haven’t used it too much, my initial impression is very, very impressed.

F&F is outstanding. I know the website pics have a reflection with an orange, but it doesn’t do justice as to how much of a mirror the blade is. I also really liked the textured design. It’s like a more spontaneous Shizuku that Kurosaki does, it’s cool.

I only used it today to brunoise an onion and some other small work, and it absolutely fell through. Screaming sharp ootb. Thin, but no feeling of fragility once so ever.

I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up a blade from Nihei.

Looks like you and I both got a Nihei bunka from Carbon yesterday!

I echo everything you said. It's a piece of art. And while I wouldn't call it inexpensive, I expected the price to be $50 to $100 higher. It's basically flawless.

@Orange Yolks @Cksnffr - now that you've had the knives for a while, any updated thoughts? With SLD being described as a semi-stainless steel, how has the patina and maintenance been?

i might need to get one of these, lots of love here

Back