nikon and canon are discontinuing slr lenses and cameras.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inferno

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <*))))><
Reaction score
how do you do, fellow insurrectionists.
E_lwMJ9XIAsn4qj

dont know if you knew but both canon and nikon are discontinuing **** at a fast pace now. they are both discontinuing lenses and bodies. i think all 3000 series dlsrs are gone. maybe the 5000 series ones too. d500 gone for sure.

but whats worse is that the lenses are going away. and i mean ***, nikon is still producing lenses from the 1970ies. about 5-6 of them. the old ai-s series (manual focus, best mechanics). but now somehow they are starting to cull semi new lenses.

https://petapixel.com/2021/04/09/ca...ontinuing-a-large-number-of-ef-lenses-report/https://petapixel.com/2022/02/11/canon-has-discontinued-all-but-nine-ef-prime-lenses-report/
https://petapixel.com/2021/05/10/nikon-dx-dslrs-and-lenses-disappearing-or-not-being-restocked/https://petapixel.com/2021/05/12/nikon-has-discontinued-several-f-mount-lenses-report/
https://petapixel.com/2022/02/03/nikon-discontinues-the-d500-a-triumph-of-the-dslr-era/
and in reality its probably a lot worse than this. just see what you can actually buy today...

i guess they went all in on mirrorless. but to be honest mirrorless sucks ass if you have a good dslr.

i mean mirrorless is what they are making now. and i have a mirrorless camera. the fuji x-h1, the only pro body fuji apsc. this was a 1800$ body when new.
its still a joke compared to my d500. it feels like a toy in comparison. it is a toy. and the battery runs dry very very fast while with the d750 and d500 i have i can shoot like 1000 shots. this technology is a ****ing joke. and fuji has made mirrorless for about 10 years longer than canon or nikon... and its still a ****ing joke compared to a good dslr.

so yeah just wanted to inform you that if you need any of the good nikon/canon lenses for your slr (factory new). now is the time to buy them because very very soon these will be gone. GONE!

dunno man Leica seems to do ok with mirrorless. so does Sony.

also lol at that image 7 dudes but only 1 haircut

dunno man Leica seems to do ok with mirrorless. so does Sony.

also lol at that image 7 dudes but only 1 haircut

hehehe they have the approved fbi haircut (and watch). just like in north korea. there is only 20 approved haircuts in north korea. its that or execution basically.

--------------

leica hasn't discontinued jack **** lately. but who the f shoots with leicas. the problem here is that they are discontinung the most classic lenses of all time. just like that "because mirrorless is better", simply pissing on their old customers. and these are customers that have been shooting with this stuff for up to 50 years. they have bought into the system. but hey, its a good way to commit financial suicide. when you simply lose 90% of your old customers. way to ****ing go!

---------------

not all people want mirroless cameras. i dont. i think they suck ass. all of them. i think the whole concept sucks ass.
these are toys. sad to say it but dslrs are tools. mirrorless cams are toys. you just have to pick one up and fiddle around for about 5 seconds to realize this.
its some sad ****.

hehehe they have the approved fbi haircut (and watch). just like in north korea. there is only 20 approved haircuts in north korea. its that or execution basically.

--------------

leica hasn't discontinued jack **** lately. but who the f shoots with leicas. the problem here is that they are discontinung the most classic lenses of all time. just like that "because mirrorless is better", simply pissing on their old customers. and these are customers that have been shooting with this stuff for up to 50 years. they have bought into the system. but hey, its a good way to commit financial suicide. when you simply lose 90% of your old customers. way to ****ing go!

---------------

not all people want mirroless cameras. i dont. i think they suck ass. all of them. i think the whole concept sucks ass.
these are toys. sad to say it but dslrs are tools. mirrorless cams are toys. you just have to pick one up and fiddle around for about 5 seconds to realize this.
its some sad ****.

my pfp on this site for like 5 years was Leica because I do.

you're not being pissed on mate they just want to go a different direction. maybe this is your chance to try something new. there's a lot better lenses out there than Nikon and Canon IMO

my pfp on this site for like 5 years was Leica because I do.

you're not being pissed on mate they just want to go a different direction. maybe this is your chance to try something new. there's a lot better lenses out there than Nikon and Canon IMO

yeah i kinda understood that. they want everybody to move to mirrorless. the thing is that canon has not produced a significantly better camera noise-wise/dynamic range-wise than the 5dmk4, and nikon has not produced a better one than the d750. and those were released in 2014 and 2016. this market is a joke. Nikon D750 vs Canon EOS R5 vs Nikon Z7II

i actually did change to something new. the fuji x-h1 and guess what. it sucks ass. just like all mirrorless cameras. and to make it worse, this is the best one fuji ever made. and they have been at it for 10 years more than both canon and nikon.

---------

while there might be better lenses purely optically than nikon or canon. they are built like a joke in comparison. i mean most tamron lenses are much much better than nikons or canons, optically. but the canon L and nikons gold ring premium ones are rock solid build quality, its all metal. and if you "buy once, cry once" this i what you want.

i have a fuji macro. very good optically. 1300$ or so. but the whole crap is made out of plastic. really?? plastic?
people are starting to accept **** mechanical quality, paying premium prices, thats the problem. they somehow think this is normal.

i actually did change to something new. the fuji x-h1 and guess what. it sucks ass. just like all mirrorless cameras. and to make it worse, this is the best one fuji ever made. and they have been at it for 10 years more than both canon and nikon.

---------

while there might be better lenses purely optically than nikon or canon. they are built like a joke in comparison. i mean most tamron lenses are much much better than nikons or canons, optically. but the canon L and nikons gold ring premium ones are rock solid build quality, its all metal. and if you "buy once, cry once" this i what you want.

well I could have told you Fuji sucks.

also wrt build quality mate you're looking in the wrong direction. have you tried the Zeiss Otus stuff? it's nearly cine quality. Leica too. the only stuff Nikon/Canon have that can compete are the super-teles which aren't practical lenses.

why dont you rent a Leica S3 and some lenses? medium format has always been the 'serious' format anyway.

well I could have told you Fuji sucks.

also wrt build quality mate you're looking in the wrong direction. have you tried the Zeiss Otus stuff? it's nearly cine quality. Leica too. the only stuff Nikon/Canon have that can compete are the super-teles which aren't practical lenses.

why dont you rent a Leica S3 and some lenses? medium format has always been the 'serious' format anyway.

all the zeiss are manual focus only. and it simply wont work for me. tried if for several years. even had a split image microprism focusing screen installed.
speeds things up. but still, this is for studio use only imo.

nikon an canon can compete with very functional autofocus, weatherproof, IS/VR, and some of the lenses are the very best ever made in the focal range.
and they have the build quality.

not a leica guy. leica for me is esoteric toys for rich people. i dont mind paying 2 grand for a lens. but then it has to perform, and be durable. i'd say durability and ruggedness are high on my list. and no fantasy prices. i mean if i was rich i could simply design these lenses myself in OSLO and ZEMAX and then have someone grind the elements to spec. and then have a machine shop make the metal parts. then have someone do the AR coatings. but hey. i can get ultra good stuff over the counter today. so why even bother.

not a leica guy. leica for me is esoteric toys for rich people. i dont mind paying 2 grand for a lens. but then it has to perform, and be durable. i'd say durability and ruggedness are high on my list. and no fantasy prices. i mean if i was rich i could simply design these lenses myself in OSLO and ZEMAX and then have someone grind the elements to spec. and then have a machine shop make the metal parts. then have someone do the AR coatings. but hey. i can get ultra good stuff over the counter today. so why even bother.

sounds like you've never used them if that's your opinion of them 🤷‍♂️

durable? performant? my 100 APO macro elmarit feels like it could survive a drone strike and it still outresolves the vast, vast majority of modern lenses.

Im gonna be 100% honest with you, this all sounds a lot like a you problem. you cant get on with the excellent mirrorless systems that do exist. you cant get along with manual focus. etc.

some of the very best ever in the focal range? you have a 200/1.8L? because that's the last interesting lens either of these companies made IMO

Like others here I liked taking pictures. These days just guessing 90% of people use their phones. You used to see tourist esp. Japanese with expensive cameras. Now hardly any carry cameras. I always carry my phone in cargo shorts pocket.

Have some nice cameras & lens haven't used them in a while. I would imagine camera shops are hurting. Unless things are different than here. I know a good photographer he made his best coin taking Japanese wedding pictures with some very good lens. It was big business in Hawaii before Covid changed everything.
They love pictures in beautiful locations.

its some sad ****.
and guess what. it sucks ass. just like all mirrorless cameras.

True; it is fair to say not everybody wants mirrorless cameras. Beyond that it is complete hyperbole to call them toys. They are as much a tool as DSLRs.

In fact their future is brighter than DSLRs. DSLRs have gone about as far as they can go feature wise. The mirror is a limitation. Modern mirrorless do not have mirror slap. You can view your actual DoF through the EVF... You can practically see in the dark through the EVF.... and you can get ridiculous burst rates without viewfinder blackout. All impossible or difficult with DSLR.

The only thing I can really think of in favour of DSLRs is battery life and the viewfinder.... but the viewfinder argument has always seemed asenine to me. It is just a bloody framing device (plus some meta data)... You view your photos in print or on a big screen...

🤷‍♂️ each to their own....

I bought the Nikon "F:2.8 Holy Trinity"a while back, along with the Nikkor 200-500 f;5.6. and went with a D-500 body and a D-810. I haven't yet decided which primes I'll go with, and I'm torn over mirrorless vs DSLR. I was hoping to find a new version of the 200mm f:4 macro, and a decent 20 or 24mm wide-angle prime that I can use with filters.(I'm a fan of Atilio Ruffo's long-exposure landscape work), and the 105mm f:1.4 for portraits. Covid has put a hard stop on my plans of getting back into photography. I've also got a Panasonic (Leica lens) FZ-1000,,, a Sony RX100-mk.III,,, a Canon P-900. Three Gitzo Systematic tripods and a Gitzo Traveller,, tons of LED lighting,,flashes,,, c-stands,,, boom stand,, reflectors, and it's all sitting there unused,,,,, and depreciating.

Sure, I'd love to have the new Z-9 and some beautiful light-weight mirrorless lenses,,, but I'll be damned if I'm going to start over from scratch.

Last edited:
A friend of me changed to Sony Alpha a few years ago when Canon and Nikon did not bring much new stuff to the table anymore , think he now has the A7. He does pro work (mainly art and music photography), what I see there is more versatile than what I'm familiar with from Canon.

I too own Nikon's D750, bought at my local camera shop on release date, and the D500. I loved shooting portraiture, architectural, and just walking around taking candid shots of people and places. Most of my gear hasn't been used the past few years, and I've been seriously thinking about selling, but the prices are so depressed, it's, well... depressing. The most I've done in the past few months with the gear was cycle the batteries so they didn't die before their time.

As I get older and nearing retirement, I've been trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. All week I've been planning a road trip, leaving in a few hours, to a large, Mom-and-Pop kayak shop to look at fishing kayaks. Having grown up fishing, but not having done so for over 20 years, this seems like a fun way to close my circle of life, getting much-needed exercise in the process.

This thread has got me thinking about getting out and doing some shooting instead of selling. Maybe all I really need to do to keep busy and active is go upstairs and pull out my camera gear.

True; it is fair to say not everybody wants mirrorless cameras. Beyond that it is complete hyperbole to call them toys. They are as much a tool as DSLRs.

In fact their future is brighter than DSLRs. DSLRs have gone about as far as they can go feature wise. The mirror is a limitation. Modern mirrorless do not have mirror slap. You can view your actual DoF through the EVF... You can practically see in the dark through the EVF.... and you can get ridiculous burst rates without viewfinder blackout. All impossible or difficult with DSLR.

The only thing I can really think of in favour of DSLRs is battery life and the viewfinder.... but the viewfinder argument has always seemed asenine to me. It is just a bloody framing device (plus some meta data)... You view your photos in print or on a big screen...

🤷‍♂️ each to their own....

I find shutter blackout issues really depend on what type of shooter you are. If you're shooting video, or fast action sports,,, shooting birds-in-flight,,,even fashion shoots, then yeah, it can be a major issue. Not so much if you're doing portraits or landscape photography.

Personally, if I was starting over from scratch and had to make that mirrorless/DSLR choice, I'd probably go mirrorless,,,. My main concerns there are mostly about rapid obsolesence in the mirrorless world; there's always a newer/faster sensor/processor available, and your "current" model is no longer in vogue. That may be OK for a money-making pro, or someone with deeeeep pockets, but as a casual hobbyist, my arms are getting short these days.

Well.. for my type of photography, the only thing negative I have to say about the current state of mirrorless is the battery life - everything else works as well or better for me.

I've never been a pro but an intermittently commited amaterur. I started with SLR:s in the mid 1990:ies, Nikon since 1997 or so, and got my first Nikon DSLR in 2007. I've upgrades a few times since, but I recently sold my D850 and most of my Nikon lenses and focus on Fujifilm - it works great for me. If I would have made the switch today I might have switched to Nikon mirrorless instead but the Fujifilm is small and works well for me. :)

A friend of me changed to Sony Alpha a few years ago when Canon and Nikon did not bring much new stuff to the table anymore , think he now has the A7. He does pro work (mainly art and music photography), what I see there is more versatile than what I'm familiar with from Canon.

The Sony's are superb,,, that said, one of my buddies is a retired professional photographer who worked for a major Canadian fashion magazine. Now that he's retired, he shoots everything with a compact Olympus pocket camera, then spends endless hours or days processing images in Photoshop.

I too own Nikon's D750, bought at my local camera shop on release date, and the D500. I loved shooting portraiture, architectural, and just walking around taking candid shots of people and places. Most of my gear hasn't been used the past few years, and I've been seriously thinking about selling, but the prices are so depressed, it's, well... depressing. The most I've done in the past few months with the gear was cycle the batteries so they didn't die before their time.

As I get older and nearing retirement, I've been trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. All week I've been planning a road trip, leaving in a few hours, to a large, Mom-and-Pop kayak shop to look at fishing kayaks. Having grown up fishing, but not having done so for over 20 years, this seems like a fun way to close my circle of life, getting much-needed exercise in the process.

This thread has got me thinking about getting out and doing some shooting instead of selling. Maybe all I really need to do to keep busy and active is go upstairs and pull out my camera gear.

You've got some great gear there, so don't even entertain the idea of selling. Your D750's F-mount lenses are also a bonus when you need a little extra reach/length, and mount them on your D500. It's hard (and expensive) to switch once you've commited to a specific lens platform. Based on your stated style of shooting, I doubt that viewfinder blackout would be anything more than a potential once-in-a-while annoyance. (sports, birds-in-flight,video,etc)

Have you got a really good tripod and ballhead? Strobe? Reflectors?. Those can open a lot of doors in your shooting.

Aa someone who used to shoot 4x5” and Rolleiflex and Mamiya 6x6, I find this outburst about slow discontinuation of SLR gear amusing. The amount of SLR gear on the secondary market is basically endless and stuff will be easy to find for many years to come. Mirrorless was already pretty good back when I bought OMD-EM5-II. And the progress did not stop back there. I think it is not half as bad as we sometimes make ourselves to believe.

It sucks having all this gear that’s kind of worthless after spending thousands and years with it. I get that.

I bit the bullet and got a Nikon z6 and pretty happy w it. There’s something about the instant on of my d600/700 that I miss. For family and convenience the z 40mm f2 is a sweet almost compact package. Have the z 35&50 1.8s and like them but they ain’t 1.4s. I tried some old glass on the z adapter and while it had a cool almost filter effect, the edges were too soft compared to the new z lenses.

Something very intriguing but ridiculously expensive is the Fuji GFX. Something about the quality of image of medium format.

I should find a low shutter count d700. I really loved that camera. Probably less than the price of well used Fujiyama. Need to get that photo bug going.

I want a Sony A7 IV real bad. Like "sell my most expensive knives" bad.

Tiny APS-C bodies designed for portability might be toylike with small sensors and tiny batteries. But there's nothing toylike about the current round of full frame offerings, especially the flagships. I'd take them over a DSLR any day. What's not to like? What are the advantages of mirrors?

I want a Sony A7 IV real bad. Like "sell my most expensive knives" bad.

Tiny APS-C bodies designed for portability might be toylike with small sensors and tiny batteries. But there's nothing toylike about the current round of full frame offerings, especially the flagships. I'd take them over a DSLR any day. What's not to like? What are the advantages of mirrors?
This is the same kind of transition as we had going from film to digital. Once canon and Nikon get mirrorless figured out (autofocus, time delays, lens size, etc) the non-mirrorless days are doomed and over. IMO, they are both taking their time in order to wrap up their digital inventories and production lines.

Last edited:
Funny enough, I got rid of my venerable Canon 5D and bought a Sony A7 because I wanted to shoot on vintage/manual glass. F****ing fantastic move for me - mirrorless lends itself to the task so, so much better than (d)SLRs.

I find shutter blackout issues really depend on what type of shooter you are. If you're shooting video, or fast action sports,,, shooting birds-in-flight,,,even fashion shoots, then yeah, it can be a major issue. Not so much if you're doing portraits or landscape photography.

Yeah! There has never been a better time to be a photographer. There is so much choice at so many price points... brand new and used!

You're right. Black out is no problem for the sort of photography I do. I was just trying to illustrate how mirrorless can offer new experiences. On that... I had a chance to try a Sony A9... it was a bizarre experience. It was actually difficult to verify a photo had been taken because there was no blackout or mechanical slap. I am sure you would get used to it quickly... but from a haptics perspective - I actually thought it was a minor step backwards!

Personally, if I was starting over from scratch and had to make that mirrorless/DSLR choice, I'd probably go mirrorless,,,. My main concerns there are mostly about rapid obsolesence in the mirrorless world; there's always a newer/faster sensor/processor available, and your "current" model is no longer in vogue. That may be OK for a money-making pro, or someone with deeeeep pockets, but as a casual hobbyist, my arms are getting short these days.

I am not really Leica's target market. In the past I can see how their mechanical cameras could be subjectively worth the asking price. They were little engineering marvels - like fine mechanical watches... these days... I am not so sure. Yes; the M-models have a 'complex' rangefinder mechanism... but the digital oriented models are just good ergonomics and build quality in a premium design. To your point... the digital bodies are more subject to the churn of ever improving technology. I know... You don't have to play that race... but once you are in that churn... It is hard to convince yourself that you are satisfied.

Whereas an old mechanical body could last decades and be repaired (a dying art)... I am not so sure the same applies to digital bodies. People generally arent motivated enough to follow through with repair - and I suspect no major manufacturer will both repairing current models in even 10 years??

I'd have to be a lot wealthier to even consider these camera bodies.

I feel manual prime lenses are a different proposition. They have a close to indefinite working life. Current designs are not going to be limited by technology for decades... and lets face it... they are better than my needs :p. Again; I am not the target market... but the value proposition they offer is closer to a price point I am willing to consider as rational ;)

Funny enough, I got rid of my venerable Canon 5D and bought a Sony A7 because I wanted to shoot on vintage/manual glass. F****ing fantastic move for me - mirrorless lends itself to the task so, so much better than (d)SLRs.

The first interchangeable lens camera I purchased was a Sony alpha for that exact reason. There was some old manual glass rattling around the family cupboards that I wanted to play with.

Manual lenses are not suited to all kinds of photography... but if you can use them, focusing through live view is trivial. I found the process of trading off shutter, ISO and aperture quite fun! A lot more engrossing than just clicking the shutter. The uncertain outcome of manual focussing is also a little bit addictive. The disappointment of the occasional out-of-focus shots adds to the joy experience when you nail a difficult shot!

Lots of fun!

[Edit: manual lenses are NOT suited to all kinds of photography... sorry! Forgot the *not*]

Last edited:
The first interchangeable lens camera I purchased was a Sony alpha for that exact reason. There was some old manual glass rattling around the family cupboards that I wanted to play with.

Manual lenses are suited to all kinds of photography... but if you can use them, focusing through live view is trivial. I found the process of trading off shutter, ISO and aperture quite fun! A lot more engrossing than just clicking the shutter. The uncertain outcome of manual focussing is also a little bit addictive. The disappointment of the occasional out-of-focus shots adds to the joy experience when you nail a difficult shot!

Lots of fun!

For me, it was that I found myself drawn to a certain rendering when looking looking at photos online. When I started digging further, I found that the majority of the photos that I'd liked were shot with Zeiss lenses. I picked up a C/Y Distagon 2.8/28 and an adapter for my 5D and that sent me tumbling down the rabbit hole.

For me, it was that I found myself drawn to a certain rendering when looking looking at photos online. When I started digging further, I found that the majority of the photos that I'd liked were shot with Zeiss lenses. I picked up a C/Y Distagon 2.8/28 and an adapter for my 5D and that sent me tumbling down the rabbit hole.

I'm a big fan of the Zeiss lenses. I've toyed with getting a Milvus series macro lens, but the price appears to have shot up quite a bit over the last few years.
re "rendering", whenever I see that word, my mind immediately shifts to the Nikkor 200mm f4 macro lens,,,, I'd kill to find a new one, but that is unlikely to happen.

Back