No more Bon Appétit for a while

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jville

Reaction score
No. I didn’t misunderstand. On the contrary, I didn’t disagree with you. Sorry. I didn’t mean to imply. My words were sloppy and when I said “you”, I didn’t mean it literally. I meant it figuratively, as the general population, anyone reading it.

I agree with you that the article is total BS. They made assumptions and tried wpass it off as fact.
I understand, no worries.

M1k3

Reaction score
@ian likes wide bevels and green Jello for some reason

Reactions: ian

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
Harbeer will probably make you one...

nwshull

Reaction score
I read this article a couple of days ago. I think some things they're looking for stuff to complain about, some items are valid.

If people are being compensated for on camera time based on skin color, I don't see how that's a flat out violation of discrimination laws. It also sucky management from a business perspective to discriminate, because your value is largely in creating charismatic personalities with a sense of comradery in the organization. I think they were definitely right to fire leadership. I also think 50k as a starting salary in NYC for a major role in a company's brand is highway robbery. That would barely cover rent. Hell 65k seems low. I hope their whole team can get back to making videos, either with BA or away from it, because they did a good job and all seemed to be friends. That management tried to set them against in this manner is despicable.

That said, I also think this article was looking for problems. To knock them for not liking to have to cook in an apartment's kitchen space. Nobody does. If you ever have to choose between more space and less space, you always choose more space. Everyone watching saw their large counter spaces and nice stove ranges. Going to more economical home ranges, and smaller counters is going to be a sucky change. Common sense. Same thing with the Gumbo recipe. Creole cuisine may just not be Chris's cup of tea as much. I'm super pastey white, but I lived in Japan as a little kid, and my taste developed there. My family's originally PA Dutch, and when I went to dinners with them, I really did not like the textures at all. At the same time, when I moved back to the states, lots of kids were pretty weirded out by what I ate, in an era before Japanese food got popular state side. People's enjoyment of different spices and textures can vary wildly.

I have to imagine for a super taster, and there are people with more sensitive taste buds, if it goes against what you like its a pretty intense. That doesn't mean food's bad because it doesn't agree with one spice or texture palate. To me the point of that segment is to see how well he can identify the ingredients. If he was doing a somme exam and he was poured a Beaujolais and that wasn't his favorite, it wouldn't be an insult to French people if he said so, what matters is he could correctly identify it.

Without rambling on this more, I do think they've had videos that have paid homage and shown respect to cuisines around the world. I do hope that team figures out a way

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
Nice post and an excellent way to close this thread.

It's strayed well away from our "mission statement" and is not really relevant to the world of kitchen knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts