Nobuya Hayashi knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, that bamboo hatchet with the edged bolster is cool. Too bad he's so far out in the boonies. Maybe if I ever get around to doing the 88 temple pilgrimage. Interesting find.

honyaki3.jpg

This is a weird outdoor knife tamahagane mizu honyaki. Why? I have no idea.

He does exclusively water quenches. He also does tamahagane mizu honyaki. According to his facebook page he asks around 111,000Y for a 225mm gyuto.

His normal rates (clad hitachi carbon I think) listed on his website are 150Y per cm of knife, which is very reasonable IMO.

Last edited:
That is pretty cheap for tamahagane, however do remember the quality of tamahagane varies, so you may not be getting the very best.

His normal rates (clad hitachi carbon I think) listed on his website are 150Y per cm of knife, which is very reasonable IMO.
Can you link where you're seeing that? Having a hard time navigating the website (english one seems broken, and chrome is refusing to translate the japanese one for me at the moment)

I got in touch with him on IG, very nice guy. He agreed to make me a knife and then just forgot about it. I didn’t follow up it was no big deal. Just be sure to follow up with him

Did you get it yet?
Yes, I did, forgot to post. But I would say while rustic, it has very nice performance, feels light and nimble, and has remarkably good food release.

Attachments

• IMG_20220523_192035.jpg
    IMG_20220523_192035.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220417_152624__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20220417_152624__01__01.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220309_172903__01.jpg
    IMG_20220309_172903__01.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Yes, that is him. You can also buy direct from on Instagram. His account is Nobuyah. Then you can pick the size, blade type, handle, etc. He generally uses his own forged tamahagane steel, but does get Hitachi paper steel occasionally. When I talked to him in July it was about two months from request to blade completion.

Yes, that is him. You can also buy direct from on Instagram. His account is Nobuyah. Then you can pick the size, blade type, handle, etc. He generally uses his own forged tamahagane steel, but does get Hitachi paper steel occasionally. When I talked to him in July it was about two months from request to blade completion.
Cool, he is on my list of santukos to buy - my ever growing list - can a person have too many santukos?

Yep, I've spoken with him on a few occasions and he is a super great guy and his pricing is pretty fair.

I haven't used anything other than my gyuto, but when I get my next one I am thinking Santoku as well, knifejapan.com is the only site that sells his knives, I believe. However, he will make one to your size specifications, I talked with him a couple months ago and he was about 8-10 weeks out on orders.

I haven't used anything other than my gyuto, but when I get my next one I am thinking Santoku as well, knifejapan.com is the only site that sells his knives, I believe. However, he will make one to your size specifications, I talked with him a couple months ago and he was about 8-10 weeks out on orders.
thanks. I’ll message him on Instagram.

did you ask for anything specific in terms of profile/height? his Instagram account shows different shapes for the same types of knife (some tall gyutos, some short ones) so I’m not sure what are his standard shapes. I’m guessing the knives on KnifeJapan represent that.

I’m thinking a 180 tall santoku… veggie killer!

I asked him for a 220 mm gyuto a little taller than 50mm I got 220 x 52. He was very accommodating, not the fastest replying but not bad. He said 6-8 weeks when I ordered it and it was ready 6 weeks later.

I would love to see that 180 tall Santoku. Definitely share of you go for it.

I want to visit him if I get the chance to travel to Japan, and do his forging workshop. Tobias Heldqvist was just there a month or so ago.

Just a random dude in the mountains making knives and hosting visitors at his forge. Looks like he might forge with tamahagane too. Is anyone here familiar with him?

http://ww8.tiki.ne.jp/~kurogane/
I haven’t heard of this guy before (I’m by no means as knowledgeable as others here!) But this further confirms my suspicion that there are a lot of incredible knife craftsmen whose names and work remain unknown to people across the pond.

Back