Quantcast

Nobuyasu Nakiri 165mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Peco

Banned
Reaction score
I have had this knife for a little more than a week - like it a lot! From what Maxim explained me, this was made by Shigefusa's master who specialized in nakiris and santoku's.

Core is blue #2 surrounded by cladding. It takes a very sharp edge which last better than my white #1. It's quite thick at the handle and taper down to approx. 1 mm at the tip. The grind is awesome - it's very thin behind the edge. I have cut all sorts of things without any problems what so ever - it just slices thru.

This little beast takes a very nice patina (look at pics) which I LIKE A LOT! I recommend this nakiri to whoever's looking into buying one. As far as I know it's a very limited stock - so hurry up while you have a chance getting one - it's well worth it!

echerub

Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah, from Maxim at JNS. I just used mine for the first time ... 2 evenings ago, straight factory edge still, and man it's really nice!

It's strange that when I first received the knife and handled it at my desk I thought the balance and feel was a bit off. Didn't notice that at all when using it the other night. The knife felt great, and it was pure pleasure to use.

WillC

Reaction score
Loving that patina, I really like blue 2 as well. Only down side is you don't NEED to mess around with it on the hones as much.:D

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks Peco glad that you like it :)
I use one my self every day in my home kitchen, never thought i was Nakiri guy.

cnochef

Reaction score
I'm a recent convert to the beauty and functionality of the nakiri. I use it for tons of veg prep as well as chicken breasts, beef striploins and pork tenderloin.

I have a Takeda, but I'm considering purchasing one of these.

rahimlee54

Reaction score
Never used a nakiri, how do they compare to a cleaver for vege? Aside from size and maneuverability?

Thanks
Jared

jm2hill

Founding Member
Reaction score
Never used a nakiri, how do they compare to a cleaver for vege? Aside from size and maneuverability?

Thanks
Jared
I love my nakiri for vegi work. For me compared to my cleaver, which is thin and heavy and will do some of the work for you ; it slides through the veggies, the nakiri takes a bit more manual effort but gives you that nice controlled light feeling which I really enjoy. I have the tojiro and am waiting on a shigi and a Del and its up there as one of my favourite styles of knife.

Ordo

Reaction score
Nakiris are a demonstration that pointy tips are highly overrated.

tgraypots

Reaction score
Jared, go for it. I think you will be well pleased. Wish I could get one of these myself, but no room in the budget right now.