(Normal) Football

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotedupy

Reaction score
In an impressive, albeit slightly surprising, win for gender equality - the only football thread I can find here concentrates on female soccer. So how about one for the boys' version of The Beautiful Game...

For anyone with even a passing interest; a documentary I've just watched called Take The Ball Pass The Ball is definitely worth seeking out, looking at Pep Guardiola's Barcelona team of 10-15 years ago, probably widely regarded as the greatest club side ever. It's interesting how eloquent some of the very best players are, Xavi and Henry in particular. Titi's (himself one of the great geniuses) attempt to analyse and comprehend a logic-defying Messi goal against Malaga is just a superb bit of punditry, giving up at the end and deadpanning to camera: 'It's not normal.'

https://www.sport.es/es/videos/barca/20191230/henry-quedo-alucinado-gol-messi/4743585.shtml

What exactly is gender equality?

Whatever it is, I'm evening things up by having a thread for the men's game!

The US is interesting in this regard actually: not necessarily a footballing country, but the MLS was certainly the first, and may still be the only, fully professional women's league in the world. And it means that the American national team has generally been the best in the world for some time. They don't always win everything, but they're always among the favourites.

Whatever it is, I'm evening things up by having a thread for the men's game!

The US is interesting in this regard actually: not necessarily a footballing country, but the MLS was certainly the first, and may still be the only, fully professional women's league in the world. And it means that the American national team has generally been the best in the world for some time. They don't always win everything, but they're always among the favourites.

But wouldn't having a separate thread for the men's game run counter to your original statement?

Don't get me wrong, I celebrate men's and women's sports.

But wouldn't having a separate thread for the men's game run counter to your original statement?

Don't get me wrong, I celebrate men's and women's sports.

I was making a slightly glib observation, noting my surprise that the only two threads I could find were about womens' football. I wouldn't take anything I say particularly seriously!

In an impressive, albeit slightly surprising, win for gender equality - the only football thread I can find here concentrates on female soccer. So how about one for the boys' version of The Beautiful Game...

For anyone with even a passing interest; a documentary I've just watched called Take The Ball Pass The Ball is definitely worth seeking out, looking at Pep Guardiola's Barcelona team of 10-15 years ago, probably widely regarded as the greatest club side ever. It's interesting how eloquent some of the very best players are, Xavi and Henry in particular. Titi's (himself one of the great geniuses) attempt to analyse and comprehend a logic-defying Messi goal against Malaga is just a superb bit of punditry, giving up at the end and deadpanning to camera: 'It's not normal.'

https://www.sport.es/es/videos/barca/20191230/henry-quedo-alucinado-gol-messi/4743585.shtml

My apologies for being surly last night.

My daughter and I had been engaged in a spirited debate and I guess my confrontational juices were flowing.

My apologies for being surly last night.

My daughter and I had been engaged in a spirited debate and I guess my confrontational juices were flowing.

Nay worries! I noticed the time there, and figured it was late Saturday night (possibly after a jar or two), and I'm certain that if one looked at my posts from that kind of time they might be a little more 'strongly opinionated' than normal ;).

And it looks like it might be the only engagement my soccer thread gets anyway, so thank you for that!

These days there's a lot more football/soccer talk in my house than American football, even though I'm smack in the middle of the U.S. My son is completely obsessed; his five favorite things in life are playing soccer, watching soccer, playing soccer video games, talking soccer, and sharks. As a result, I'm paying a lot more attention than I have for years.

Back