Not a kitchen knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Well......it's not a kitchen knife but I am excited about getting it.
One of my regular customers in Buenos Aires is mailing this to me.

I will be using it as a display piece on my table at the knife shows.
The handle is some of the blue maple burl from one of the recent batches.

B.jpg

E.jpg

D.jpg

The second I saw the blade I knew who made it, yeah I'd be pretty excited to be getting this too. Nice score!

It dont have to be a kitchen knife to get my attention! This is a great looking blade. and handle. The wood is exceptional and as always his blade looks amazing!

I got to try doing a few laminated billets of this style, damascus clad? I duno..

Congrats brother!

Is that what you will carry when you ride across the Oregon pampa? :) Nice, in a way - I wish I had more sense for non-kitchen knives. But then again, maybe not, too expensive.

Stefan

Is that what you will carry when you ride across the Oregon pampa?
Stefan

Stefan,
Don't believe everything you hear about Oregon. People have cars instead of horses here now.
It is pretty rare for people to be attacked by bears or cougars any more.
It's Bigfoot and the UFOs you have to watch out for around here.
They even have a County Fair. They just call it something different, "Hemp Fest".

Lovely vivid San mai, stunning what he has done with the wood, a perfect show piece for you there.:wink:

Claudio does really nice work.
His style is one that you either like......or you don't.
I really like his style.
Here are some others he made with some of my burl.
....funny, I still think of it as my wood.

2.jpg

9.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

9.jpg

Stefan,
Don't believe everything you hear about Oregon. People have cars instead of horses here now.
It is pretty rare for people to be attacked by bears or cougars any more.
It's Bigfoot and the UFOs you have to watch out for around here.
They even have a County Fair. They just call it something different, "Hemp Fest".

Reminds me, I was hitchhiking across the US in 82 and an embarrasingly large number of people I met didn't know anything about Germany unless they had been in the war. I was asked whether we already have refrigerators in Germany. We invented the damn things...

Anyway, great looking knives and beautiful use of the woods. Since this is not my world at all: Do people actually use such knives or are they more show and collectors' pieces? Would almost be a shame to ruin the nice blade ;)

Stefan

Do people actually use such knives or are they more show and collectors' pieces? Would almost be a shame to ruin the nice blade ;)
Stefan
They are made to be used but a lot of the guys collect them and many end up in a case.
Prices on the fighters by a decent maker can range from just under $500 to $20K+
It's a whole other world there.
But then, I didn't know anything about quality kitchen knives until recently.

Ya, how many knife fighters are there? And can they afford knives like those, unless they are also crack dealers!

That whole san-mai thing really gets my attention. Just wish I were a younger man.....
I'm curious, what is the progression, sandpaper, buffing, etc. To get a finish like that on the dyed Burl?

The knife arrived today.
This is my attempt at a knife photo.
k.jpg

I think I had better stick with taking pictures of wood.

CAS' knives are soooo cool. The blades are just out of this world and the handle look very comfortable and match the blade perfectly.

DarKHOeK

Back