Nothing Petty About Your Petty Suggestions...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Petty

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Open - I love Wa handles but this knife will be pressed into utilitarian tasks that are likely to include chicken butchery so western may be more appropriate.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
120-135

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Semi or full stainless.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I'd prefer to keep it as close to $100USD as possible.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
General utility and more. This guy will need to be reasonably robust but not a beater. I don't abuse my knives but I won't baby them during use. I may slice a lime, an onion, set it down, do another task, get called by the wife, and then come back to pick up where I left off. As said, may be used to break down raw poultry as well. Slicing up bricks of cheese like cheddar, jack, etc. I don't do a lot of off-board work and on-board work wouldn't typically require precise work.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Really this would be plugging into the line up. I have a Wusthof 6" Gourmet cook's knife and 4.5" utility that sort of do all of the tasks I described but not all that well. The 6" is a little to large and the 4.5" is too dainty (design more than length).

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch but for this one I reckon I'll be using a variety.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Again, this will be task dependent.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Good "quick-grab" knife but with some butchery abilities.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
N/A

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Well, an eased spine and choil are nice but I can do it myself and not expecting much at this price point.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
N/A

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Non issue for this one. Toughness is probably more a factor than strength.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I'd like this knife to sort of fill a utility/honesuki role. A bit general purpose so compromises are understood. As said, I like Japanese handles but I also like western. Just not sure if the Wa with the poultry butchery is an issue.

Not sure how much overlap there'll be, but I was on the hunt for a stainless petty too not long ago:
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/stainless-petty-whatcha-like.46005/I should probably re-read that thread :)

Reading your specs, two things stand out: "as close to $100USD as possible" and "some butchery abilities".
I'd like to try a Misono petty--I like the profile. They're a little softer, too, so you wouldn't have to worry about the errant butchery bone bonk.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...0mm-to-petty150mm-3-sizes?variant=29219048131https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...no-440-series-petty-knife?variant=29201274051
I'd suggest bumping to 150mm. I find them a bit more general-usable than 135mm. YMMV.
I like the TF nashiji petties a lot--but they wouldn't match your questionnaire since they're carbon-core/stainless clad and also relatively hard. Still at ~$100, a good value and they take use well.

Last edited:
Frankly speaking, I don't like the size. For peeling I use Herders with their inverted geometry: right side flat, left one convexed. These have no board contact.
Small petties who do have board contact have only a small contact area. Have tried them, and had to sharpen them far to often.
Another problem I have experienced was the little size of the handle. With other knives I hardly care, but with a narrow blade I can't use my claw grip — can't use a pinch grip any more. Than a handle does matter.
The solution I've found was this 180mm 'slicer'. Decently sized, comfortable handle, acceptable edge retention, easy sharpening, very nice F&F.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/products/misono-440-series-slicer-knife

My most used pettys are a Takamura R2 red handle 150 and a Fujiwara Kanefusa FKM AUS8 150. The Tak for finer things, the FKM for rougher. Maybe you should get a petty and a honesuki? I'm still looking for a honesuki, for chicken butchery i mostly use an FKM 180 gyuto.

Last edited:
My most used pettys are a Takamura R2 red handle 150 and a Fujiwara Kanefusa FKM AUS8 150. The Tak for finer things, the FKM for rougher. Maybe you should get a petty and a honesuki? I'm still looking for a honesuki, for chicken butchery i mostly use a FKM 180 gyuto.

A honesuki was high on my list but I was thinking I could find a knife with some more versatility for now and get the honesuki later on.

I'd suggest bumping to 150mm. I find them a bit more general-usable than 135mm. YMMV.
I like the TF nashiji petties a lot--but they wouldn't match your questionnaire since they're carbon-core/stainless clad and also relatively hard. Still at ~$100, a good value and they take use well.

I just took delivery of one of the TF pettys yesterday. Very nice OOTB edge, straight, well ground, cuts very well. I got mine from Carbon Knife and note that the the handle is...let's just say it's from the low cost supplier. Other than that I'm very happy. It is stainless-clad White #1 so I accept that the core steel will patina, but I wanted to try White #1 from TF to see what the fuss is all about. I ordered a 135mm and the actual dimensions are 142 x 36mm.

I just took delivery of one of the TF pettys yesterday. Very nice OOTB edge, straight, well ground, cuts very well. I got mine from Carbon Knife and note that the the handle is...let's just say it's from the low cost supplier. Other than that I'm very happy. It is stainless-clad White #1 so I accept that the core steel will patina, but I wanted to try White #1 from TF to see what the fuss is all about. I ordered a 135mm and the actual dimensions are 142 x 36mm.
Glad that worked out. My favorite petty at that length.

i second the misono carbon line. or the 440 line is also good. You said you may cut onions with this thing. 120 is a tough size for onions, shallots definitely but i don't think you'll be able to pull it off. I'll be that guy that suggests getting a slightly larger size, 150 at least or 180 is perfect for little tasks i like to call "kid food" (apples, cheese, halving sadwich)

Alright now I have to jump in and ask about petty sizes. I just ordered a 130mm, mainly for breaking down cruciferous veggies into florets, and perhaps for small product like shallot and roma tomato. Maybe scoring avocado or something too. Is there any reason why 130 would be too small for that??

Knuckle clearance for one. I have the Tanaka 150 petty and it's shaped like a super mini gyuto, kinda. Terrific for any board work with decent amount of room for your knuckles. Also enough length for cutting medium sized tomatoes and onions etc.

BUT as I have small-ish hands the 150 is a bit too much for me for any in hand work. So I have a 120 Mac Pro petty for that.

The 150 gets a lot more use then the 120.

edit. but the 120 still absolutely has it's time and place.

i second the misono carbon line. or the 440 line is also good. You said you may cut onions with this thing. 120 is a tough size for onions, shallots definitely but i don't think you'll be able to pull it off. I'll be that guy that suggests getting a slightly larger size, 150 at least or 180 is perfect for little tasks i like to call "kid food" (apples, cheese, halving sadwich)

Sorry, I should've been clearer. We often have a half or less of left over onion in the fridge and that's what I was meaning. Might cut a couple quick pieces for a sandwich or a salad or what have you. Just a quick task is what this knife will do a lot of, quick stuff.

I have a couple 170mm bunkas and my gyuto for larger stuff.

Last edited:
Knuckle clearance for one. I have the Tanaka 150 petty and it's shaped like a super mini gyuto, kinda. Terrific for any board work with decent amount of room for your knuckles. Also enough length for cutting medium sized tomatoes and onions etc.

BUT as I have small-ish hands the 150 is a bit too much for me for any in hand work. So I have a 120 Mac Pro petty for that.

The 150 gets a lot more use then the 120.

edit. but the 120 still absolutely has it's time and place.

Well I have no problem jumping on a 150 too. The petty I've got on the way is a takaura r2 130,and they have a 150 as well. Guess I need to collect 'em all 🤣

Well I have no problem jumping on a 150 too. The petty I've got on the way is a takaura r2 130,and they have a 150 as well. Guess I need to collect 'em all 🤣

Of course you do. Was there ever even in any doubt? :oops:
But seriously, Nothing wrong with a couple of Takamuras. Those pettys are lovely.

So for the OP one more vote for the Takamura too. IF you like them thin?

Edit. the Takamura R2 150 is actually only about 3 mm taller at the heel compared to the Takamura R2 130. So actually not that much difference. My Tanaka is taller and the edge profile is shaped in an angle to ad extra space.

Last edited:
Of course you do. Was there ever even in any doubt? :oops:
But seriously, Nothing wrong with a couple of Takamuras. Those pettys are lovely.

So for the OP one more vote for the Takamura too. IF you like them thin?

Edit. the Takamura R2 150 is actually only about 3 mm taller at the heel compared to the Takamura R2 130. So actually not that much difference. My Tanaka is taller and the edge profile is shaped in an angle to ad extra space.

Believe me, I love the look and idea of the Takamura R2 line and a 210 gyuto is on my list for this year. But, I don't think one of them is the right fit for this particular billing. I'd be afraid of some fragility whereas with this ask, I'm looking more toward robust and a little tougher.

Alright now I have to jump in and ask about petty sizes. I just ordered a 130mm, mainly for breaking down cruciferous veggies into florets, and perhaps for small product like shallot and roma tomato. Maybe scoring avocado or something too. Is there any reason why 130 would be too small for that??

I'm like you -- I don't need a short knife for chopping on a cutting board. It's for chickens, those fingerling potatoes, cherry tomatoes and breaking down broccoli and cauliflower. (Hey, that's beginning to sound like a nice meal.) I need a good grind with a good tip. So far the Fujiwara Nashiji I mentioned above is the right knife. Actual measurement is 142mm so that split the difference in making the decision.

In the end the Mac Pro won out and I ordered from David himself today at Knife Merchant.

Winning Factors:
- At 125mm it's a smidge longer than 120 but not longer than what I'm wanting.
- Good profile
- Steel is a good compromise for this knife's role
- Bolster is probably better for poultry work
- Big fan of Knife Merchant. Good price, free shipping, no taxes.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to answer. It was a fun exercise and I appreciate it. :)

Last edited:
In the end the Mac Pro won out and I ordered from David himself today at Knife Merchant.

Winning Factors:
- At 125mm it's a smidge longer than 120 but not longer than what I'm wanting.
- Good profile
- Steel is a good compromise for this knife's role
- Bolster is probably better for poultry work
- Big fan of Knife Merchant. Good price, free shipping, no taxes.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to answer. It was a fun exercise and I appreciate it. :)

The mac pro series is great for this kind of "I want a good and affordable knife that doesnt have to be babied" application. Solid choice. Enjoy and be sure to report back! 👍

I just received a JCK Fi-Rin-Ka-Zan 135mm petty - stainless clad white #1 forged by TF. Plain western style handle, well made and no glaring F&F issues. Cuts like a champ. I think I'm really going to enjoy this little petty. And the price is hard to beat!
0128TFp2.jpg

Back