NYC vacation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for vegan friendly fine dining options. Not exclusively vegan, but vegan options. Other than that, we eat everything and are planning to spend some change, so help me figure out where. Staying near the Flatiron district. I already have reservations at 11 Madison Park. About a month out so might be too late to get some reservations.

Hells Kitchen is IME a nice area for 'hipster' food that can be surprisingly good, do check the current critics sites as my last trip to NYC was pre-Covid (and plan to make reservations).

Butter. Lots of it. Clarified and infused with spices (aka niter kibbeh). It's the "base layer" that makes many of the Ethiopian veggie dishes so nice.

Veganism is very subjective. I have a Hindu friend who considers themselves a vegan but will eat ghee because it is not the "flesh" of the animal. Not milk or butter or yogurt. But ghee is okay because it contains no animal protein. The particular vegan I'm traveling with does dairy occasionally. Chocolate is always an exception for her even if it contains dairy. And she eats crustaceans and mollusks occasionally.

Veganism is very subjective. I have a Hindu friend who considers themselves a vegan but will eat ghee because it is not the "flesh" of the animal. Not milk or butter or yogurt. But ghee is okay because it contains no animal protein. The particular vegan I'm traveling with does dairy occasionally. Chocolate is always an exception for her even if it contains dairy. And she eats crustaceans and mollusks occasionally.
Wait, what?! "Vegans" eat butter now. What happened to the wor(l)d?
I was going to say Grand Central Oyster Bar then but just looked at their menu and nearly all of their oysters are PEI...

Edit: paging NYC guys: @DitmasPork and @rickbern.

But Ethiopian should be vegan-friendly! 10 Exceptional Ethiopian Restaurants in NYC
Nice post enjoyed reading it. Ethiopian food is influenced by different old spice cultures.

African country with history going way back in time. Just finished reading Meave Leakey's book. The Great Rift Valley in Kenya & Ethiopia where up right walking hominid fossil bones have been found.

We had a good Ethiopian place in Hawaii unfortunate it was one of many small business that didn't survive the strict COVID lockdowns here.
IMG_20221105_062220061.jpg

Back