NYTimes article on knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good article, thanks for posting it

It started out good, but they had to finish with the "stamped" knife nonsense. That whole paragraph is schizophrenic.

I just checked Joel's website out. His knives look very Haslinger-esque.

I find this most interesting:

"But there are a growing number of new artisans in the field, like Joel Bukiewicz, who opened his workshop and store, Cut Brooklyn, last year. (In the fall, Mr. Bukiewicz will start making a stainless steel chef’s knife for Williams-Sonoma, which will sell for $599.95.)"

You heard it here first fellas, the nakiri is going to be the next "big thing" and it is very versatile. They must have meant least versatile.

And they credit Dave's girl RR with spreading the popularity of the santoku.

That sounds about right for the Santoku. Before I found the other forum I remember hearing all over the place that the Santoku was the knife to have! I'm glad I kept searching for why... I still don't own a santoku. Thankfully the buzz these days is about makers like Kramer. Now if we can just get articles like that on Hoss, Bill, Pierre, Michael, and all the other talented smiths hanging around these parts.

On second thought, I'd rather be able to afford an original from one of these fellas than sone mass produced copy. Don't forget us when you get super famous guys!

What has RR got to do with fine knives? I thought she endorses Furi??

One of my sisters gave me a Wustof santuko a few years back. It sits in the drawer and only gets used occasionally by my wife or my sister when she visits. It is annoying to use. Lacks knuckle clearance.

Hey, what's wrong with a nakiri? I turn to mine (3rd owner Tojiro Shirogami) more often than not. Cheap? Yep. Productive and fun to use? Absolutely, at least in my home kitchen.

I agree it is fun to use, I would not exactly call it versatile though. At least compared to a gyuto, suji, santoku, cleaver or longish petty.

Nice to read the United States is the number one importer of Japanese knives, in volume and sales first time in 2010:happy1::sumo::happy3::thumbsup2:

Id say the Chukabocho is the most versatile knife, one billon chinamen can't be wrong. Cleaver is my #1 for line work, has always been. Chinese cleaver is the 1st knife I bought. Was in 4th grade and had to have one Because that's what Martin Yan used and I wanted to debone a chicken in under a minute. Dad took me to a Restaurant supply store and I spent my own birthday money on it, don't remember how much it was but know that $10 was the usual birthday money in my house back then, Still have the cleaver.
I'd credit Top Chef for spreading the popularity of high end kitchen knives, ray-ray (Daves pet name for the batter licker) uses crap knives, so do most on FN, Bobby boy teaches bad knife skills and habits, even Gordon looks like a fool to me the way he steels a knife, must do mor damage then good. Side note I watched GR's Christmas show and thought it was crazy and funny as hell that he had his young daughter stand on a pot over a hot stove and stir something, and creepy that he mouth kisses her... must be a English thing. Speaking of English I find it funny as hell also that Todd appears to be drunk in every show he does..watched him wonder around the stage on one show and do a funny monkey dance. Sorry for the long OT side track but thought some may find it funny.

Morimoto also makes these really interesting sounds...as proof, listen to him at around :50

[video=youtube;i0YxvhUtYVU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0YxvhUtYVU[/video]

Anyways, I'm quite surprised that they haven't mentioned the other popular custom knife makers (Devin, Rader, Haslinger etc). Just Kramer and the guy from Brooklyn; this probably means that one of our preferred custom makers needs to come to NY :biggrin:

I AM in NY. I just have to make a name for myself. :)
The marketing Cut Brooklyn has done is phenomenal. I got to give Joel credit for it.

M

Back