Recipe Requested Octopus

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a 2 kilo octopus today. I want to cook it tomorrow. Any suggestions? Was thinking of grilling. Bought it on a whim at Whole Foods while driving thru Louisville today. Its thawed, so need to use tomorrow.

Last edited:
"Holding the octopus by the head, carefully and quickly dip the tentacles into the water 3 times, then lower it into the pot "

From the article linked above.
As I have never cooked octopus, could someone explain the reasoning for the tentacle dipping.

"Holding the octopus by the head, carefully and quickly dip the tentacles into the water 3 times, then lower it into the pot "

From the article linked above.
As I have never cooked octopus, could someone explain the reasoning for the tentacle dipping.
This is what interested me:
"José Andrés adds a clean copper penny to the saucepan to replicate the traditional technique of cooking octopus in a copper pot. The chemical reaction of the copper and the octopus gives the tentacles a gorgeous purple tint."

Freeze your octo first to tenderize it - the most important step
If not fancy freezing just the **** out of it
Almost always poach first
Easy on fire - gentle simmer
Have a skewer ready after 35 min and keep checking for doneness, should be the least resistance possible

Edit
I just saw it was frozen already :D
I like pulpo in bao with some grilled veg, sweet chillie sauce and sirracha
Head is best to leave to marinate for a salad or something

Light boil with bay leaf (1 leaf or so per octopus) and whole black pepper (about 1 tablespoon per octopus). Dunk if you want the fancy looks. Should take about an hour, give or take. Doneness when poked should feel roughly like a boiled potato that's done, not to hell though. Remove beak.

Marinade in whatever flavor you want. I like simple olive oil, garlic, parsley. Grill on high/medium-high heat. Quickly char/warm it up. Finish with salt to taste.

Last edited:
late to the party, but no need to tenderize if frozen. Freezing process breaks down cell structure. hour might be excessive, but boil for at least 40min and grilling would be great. Hope yours turned out well!

I made this recently, with dried octopus. No doubt, it would work just as well with fresh one. Flavour turned out very nice, and I'll definitely make this again.

http://ile-maurice.tripod.com/ouritesecroug.htm
IMG_3784.jpeg

Locatelli actually recommends braising pulpo in its own liquid, as it has enough of it, instead of boiling.
View attachment 96313
I’ve done this as well. A lot of water comes out of the octopus that indeed one doesn’t really need to add liquids. Wine does add a nice flavour though.

Not so sure about seeing it as a replacement of boiling in water - they are two different methods to cook octopus with each having their own different taste profiles.

Poaching the octopus in salted water with lemon paprika and chili flake can be nice. Brown butter, chilies, castelvetrano olives and garlic and a lemon wedge. You could also serve with a simple shaved fennel salad with olive oil and lemon juice to dress

Latest posts

Back