• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ohira Asagi from Mr. Watanabe

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zetieum

Reaction score
For sell an exceptional stone from Watanabe. This is really among the best stones I have ever had in my hands. Simply exceptional.
Super fast, super easy to use, and gives both superb polish with high contrast between the hagane and Jigane. Do I need to say that edges get stupid sharp with some tooth?? No nagura needed, you get easily some mud. It is flawless.
I played with it for six months, but even if I deeply enjoy it, I cannot keep it. I just cannot justify having a so expensive stone in my gear. It costed me more than 500€ (550$) considering shipment and custom tax.

size: 27x70x190 mm.
I ask for 420€ (450$), shipment included to Europe. I can ship it overseas, contact me for the exact price.

It is sealed

I bought it after a lot of exchanges with Mr.Watanabe. I was looking for a stone that was in the refinement style of a suita, but more efficient and I did not care about look of it. Only about the efficiency. We directly ended discussing this stone, and it is indeed exactly that.

Here what Watanabe wrote about it on is website: "This is a beautiful OD-green color stone with the water. It is called Asagi well known as one of highest quality finishing stone. You can get black mud easily. I feel slight harder than #1 -#4 stones. The Hamon is the highest contrast color in our stock now. I am sure you love the quality of the stone. Some samurai sword makers love them too. Unfortunately, this mine was already closed down last year. It will be rare soon."

Here are the picture original from Watanabe:
p106s_big.jpg

p106_big.jpg

And a screen capture:
Screen%20Shot%202016-12-17%20at%2014.16.26.png

Here are some pictures of the stone as it is right now:

DSC_2318.jpg

The back:
DSC_2320.jpg

the side, where Watanabe wrote the specs:
DSC_2321.jpg

When I received it:
DSC_1377.jpg

It gets superb when wet:
DSC_1408.jpg

DSC_1409.jpg

Thanks for your consideration!

I had the chance to testrun this fabulous stone. Super fast and very fine. Quite exceptional.

Same here!
I tried it on the day it arrived ( i live less than one kilometer away from Zetieum ;) ).. looks boring dry, but once its wet this pattern surfaces and it was crazy fast, hard but not to hard with a smooth and nice feedback
Great stone.

Where in Europe?

I am located in Germany. Price include shipment to anywhere in the European Union. I can ship whereever, but it will cost a bit extra. For instance:
- to European non-EU: add 15€
- to russia: add 16 €
- to USA: add 21€

Trust me I want that stone. But no money no funny so. Pitty. I live in Sweden btw, so maybe in the future I will buy some stones from you

HUGE price drop!

350 Euros / 390 USD

Paypal fees and Shipping in Europe including. The buyer buy the difference for shipment elsewhere. Contact me for details.

I am very tempted. May I ask how would this stone compare to a Ohira Suita in terms of cutting edge it would make and kasumi finish?

This stone is harder than a ohira suita (just a bit) but also give a more refined/miror finish. It drinks a bit less than a suita. It is very fast, exeptionaly fast for a stone in this hardness. I would say comparably fast as a suita. It has a very strong sharpening power. Without any nagura, you can get directly some black mud. In term of edges, it may be a bit more razor than with my suitas, but really as those point of refinement, it is hard to say.
In term of polishing for kasumi, it make the core steel more much more mirror than a suita. The cladding is also more refined than with a suita: you get some reflection in it. You get smth that is blurry but reflective. So, yes one can make beautiful kasumi. But because it is more refined, you need to have a better "preparation" than with a suita for the kasumi because the imperfections on the cladding are more likely to come up because of the reflectivity. I usually do a very light and smooth run with a finger stone only on the cladding to homogenise, without removing the light reflectivity. With that I get perfection. To my eye, I can get a more subtile/beautfiul results than with my ohira suita, but it is also more demanding.

If you want I can polish a knife tomorrow and take pictures to show you.

BTW, the stone is perfect: no lines, no nothing. Collector grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back