Ohira renge suita - fair price?

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by Nick112, Jun 1, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jun 1, 2019 #1

Nick112

Nick112

Nick112

2. Jun 3, 2019 #2

childermass

childermass

childermass

Supporting Member

I for my part would not buy either of them as my first stone because I would not want to buy a generally overpriced stone, like all Ohira Suita are, without knowing what I really want. Sure, you can always resell a stone if you don’t like it, but you will inevitably loose money in that process.
    Apart from that very personal statement I think given Maxim‘s usual prices these are nice priced given their size although still pretty expensive.
    If I had to, I think I would take the first one of the two, because of the location and orientation of the lines. If you ever have to dig these in the future because they become toxic, it will be easier to not get the blade caught in there than in the two that run around the middle of stone number two.
    As far as sharpening goes, both stones will most likely perform similar on carbon steel knives.

3. Jun 3, 2019 #3

Nick112

Nick112

Nick112

Thanks for taking your time to reply. I do understand one pay quite a bit for the aestetiques and that the stone is rare, I guess I can get the same sharpening properties with a cheaper asymetric stone.

4. Jun 3, 2019 #4

childermass

childermass

childermass

Supporting Member

Ohira Suita are not really that rare compared to Suita from other mines, but there is a huge hype about them, hence the high prices. And yes, it’s true that clean shaped stones tend to be higher in price, but there are also stones with odd shapes that can sell for more, a lot depends on how clean they are as well. What I was trying to say is that you can buy Suita stones from different mines with similar sharpening properties and size for a fraction of the price .

5. Jun 3, 2019 #5
    Yes, Ohira Suita stones have been hyped up, but they are super pleasant to use and also very beautiful.

Regarding the seller - JNS does not sell cheap stones by any stretch of an imagination, but Maksim tests all stones he sells and you can rely on him for getting a top quality stones.

And if you take the effort of checking the prices of Ohira Suita stones on places like buyee you will find out, that nice looking ones are no cheaper than from JNS - just you have no warranty that you will get a food quality stone.

So unless you manage to get one cheaper from a friend or some experienced KKF member, than - if you really want one - bite the bullet and get it from Maksim.

childermass likes this.
  6. Jun 3, 2019 #6
    The only reason why I have not bought the first of the two is that I already have one :)

01A27063-18E4-447F-9164-3F84573C6A0C.jpeg
    F0C01E9E-99EC-43E2-92AE-D5F01246C7D7.jpeg

Calebmccullough18 likes this.
  7. Jun 3, 2019 #7

childermass

childermass

childermass

Supporting Member

8. Jun 3, 2019 #8

musicman980

musicman980

musicman980

Those Ohiras are scrumptious aren’t they!

9. Jun 3, 2019 #9

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

Ohira suitas are nice stones but there are stones that are just as good or better if you don't care what mine or layer it came from. I would also look into a namito or tomae if I were you. As for Buyee (Yahoo Auctions), prices have gone up a lot. Stones that would have sold for something like €250 now fetch €350 or more. A nice suita from Yahoo Auctions will cost you at least €400 so if you're new to this I would buy from Maksim.

10. Jun 3, 2019 #10
    I agree with the above, but outside the Ohira Suita club it is often hard to find a stone in a similar hardness/grit range and few sellers give a meaningful description. On top of that many stones are just too hard/fine to make a usable finishers on double bevel kitchen knives - especially for beginners.

11. Jun 9, 2019 #11

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

Guys, what does it mean when a stone goes toxic?

12. Jun 9, 2019 #12

Migraine

Migraine

Migraine

I've never heard it phrased that way ("goes toxic") but a toxic line or inclusion in a stone is one which is made up of a material harder/coarser than the stone which can scratch/damage the blade. I'm not an expert but that's what I've gathered from here.

DisconnectedAG likes this.
  13. Jun 9, 2019 #13

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

The above is correct. It can even be an entire thin horizontal layer of toxic material that's sandwiched in between good stone layers. That's very rare though.

14. Jun 10, 2019 #14

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

Thanks. I'm edging forward to taking the jnat leap, but it feels expensive and terrifying and I don't have enough knives to sharpen, really, to warrant it yet.

15. Jun 10, 2019 #15

Nick112

Nick112

Nick112

Hi yes I ageee, I kind of read about the feeling and feedback using jnat and also the edge you can achieve. I also agree its to expensive to justify, but I kind of talked me into that I will get most of the money back if I buy a stone that becomes rarer and rarer (and is in demand), and I have to see the cost of transactions and the bit of the stone that will disappear from sharpening. And also of course, I enjoy the ritual of sharpening and am curious of always improving.

16. Jun 11, 2019 #16

Slipstenar

Slipstenar

Slipstenar

17. Jun 12, 2019 #17

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

So what do you do when you get these kinds of toxic inclusions? These aren't cheap or returnable items after all.

18. Jun 12, 2019 #18

childermass

childermass

childermass

Supporting Member

Your most common option then is to take a nail or any other pointy metal device and dig the inclusions by scratching them out.
    There is always the possibility that a stone holds toxic inclusions that reveal over time, Suita stones more so than stones from other layers.

19. Jun 12, 2019 #19

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

I really want a jnat, but the depth of knowledge required is terrifying. There's also sealing, creating a nice base for uneven bases, totally different finishes depending on what stone you get and on and on and on. Terror.

Andrew likes this.
  20. Jun 12, 2019 #20

childermass

childermass

childermass

Supporting Member

Yes I know this is pretty overwhelming in the beginning and it doesn’t get any better the more you get to know. But in the end this is part of that game and a little thrill in life is always welcome.
    A positive thing is that as part of this community you have lots of experienced people around to guide and help you along the way.

Carl Kotte likes this.
  21. Jun 12, 2019 #21

Slipstenar

Slipstenar

Slipstenar

Well lets say like this, if the seller doesnt accept returns you should choose someone else.. A reputable seller should accept a return of the stone if it just has been tested and that it was not for the liking of the customer.

childermass and DisconnectedAG like this.
  22. Jun 13, 2019 #22

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

You could test the hell out of a stone and not be able to predict a toxic layer. It would be an inordinately generous vendor that accepts a return on a stone that later in life reveals hidden toxicity

childermass likes this.
  23. Jun 13, 2019 #23

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

My momma always said, “Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.”

That’s how it always is with jnats :p

24. Jun 13, 2019 #24

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

Also Maxim’s stuff is typically overpriced for beginners, especially the Ohira suitas. For a first time owner, might I suggest choosing a simpler and cheaper medium finisher to start with. Then when you have a feel for nats you can start splashing the big bucks for the nice Nakayama iromono that’s been listed here
    http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/nakayama-rainbow-lv-4-a845/

25. Jun 13, 2019 #25

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

26. Jun 13, 2019 #26

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

No, let's go Deadpool style maximum effort on this one, by all means. That looks like a totally reasonable entry into jnats.

27. Jun 13, 2019 #27

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

This is generally not the case, although Western vendors occasionally make their own judgement calls on a case by case basis. The main exception is Alex Gilmore at JapanStone, who offers returns and full refunds on all his stones minus return shipping.

Otto's right, toxic inclusions are impossible to predict unless clearly visible in the sides or bottom of a stone. You are buying a natural product and nature sadly isn't perfect. Luckily, most toxic layers/inclusions can be managed or removed so it's rarely the end of the world when they appear. If the idea of having to potentially maintenance a sharpening stone is off-putting, jnats aren't your cup of tea.

childermass and Xenif like this.
  28. Jun 13, 2019 #28

Bert2368

Bert2368

Bert2368

Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN

DisconnectedAG and childermass like this.
  29. Jun 13, 2019 #29

valgard

valgard

valgard

Stones Addict (terminal case)

that's what makes it so fun xD

30. Jun 13, 2019 #30

valgard

valgard

valgard

Stones Addict (terminal case)

there's no way to tell what's inside some stones, I had a perfectly looking Nakayama Maruka (no less) pop an inclusion out of nowhere after some lapping, there was no way to tell from the outside when I first got it.