• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Ohira Renge Uchigumori

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soigne_west

Reaction score
Nice stone. see link for details. I’m haven’t used it much. I’d like to try and get $425. Shipped and insured CONUS

200x80x30 1132g
All lines are non toxic.

https://strata-portland.myshopify.c...gumori-hato-no-s5?_pos=1&_sid=07cdee948&_ss=r

52E4125E-A263-4628-AE74-A5DEE4F2CA3C.jpeg
E3D2F1C2-3977-43C2-AADE-7AD6CAFE660D.jpeg
849D688C-9DBE-463C-8975-8A7CBF9A7FAF.jpeg
6428DC5D-5CCA-46EB-8EAB-3815D777C4B1.jpeg
72E83B3C-2953-4284-893B-98244D6A3558.jpeg
A556C60A-F512-42AA-A787-2C15CC92B5AA.jpeg
3D5CA160-166C-42D8-B522-9A25B433219D.jpeg
FC8A1CAE-819A-43BF-BE50-F2DD2CB24C42.jpeg
25A80AF5-3FE0-47AA-95C2-BB7C5A659CF5.jpeg

This is a great deal. Uchigumori just because of what it is, are getting more and more expensive. I’ve seen other ohiras smaller go for more money. If I could, I would sell mine and buy this. Someone buy this!

Im interested in this stone. Just would like to know what does it take to get that kasumi finish? What kind of prep do i need to do on the knife and how long does it take?

Im new to jnats and tried an uchigumori but had little success with it getting the desired results.

Im interested in this stone. Just would like to know what does it take to get that kasumi finish? What kind of prep do i need to do on the knife and how long does it take?

Im new to jnats and tried an uchigumori but had little success with it getting the desired results.

I’m just gonna be honest here and say that this piece of uchi is probably best for a little more experienced polishers. It’s a little on the harder side and mud management can be a little tricky compared to other softer ones I’ve tried. I’d try to find a stone that’s a little on the softer side and start there.

For other interested parties, although they seem very few, this is in no way a stone for experts only. Once you get the hang of it, the results are stunning.

I’m just gonna be honest here and say that this piece of uchi is probably best for a little more experienced polishers. It’s a little on the harder side and mud management can be a little tricky compared to other softer ones I’ve tried. I’d try to find a stone that’s a little on the softer side and start there.

For other interested parties, although they seem very few, this is in no way a stone for experts only. Once you get the hang of it, the results are stunning.

Thanks for being so honest. Could someone explain though what is so hard to use about this harder stones like this? What would i need to do to get good results if I decided to grab it ? Why would getting a softer stone help with transitioning into harder ones instead of right away jumping into this one.

Harder stones often require better preparation of the knife on lower grit stones (to get more even surfaces first). They won't be able to "hide" high and low spots like with softer stones.

Harder stones also may cause more severe streaking if your technique is not there. What's more, they may scratch soft cladding if water/pressure control are not proficient.

However, this uchigumori doesn't look that hard at all. It was classified as hato by strata portland, I'm sure it won't be as difficult as real hard stones. Just might be a bit slower, and require a bit more care to get an even finish compares to entry-level stones.

Here’s a quick polish on stainless. And let me clarify a little. This stone is not at all hard to use, I guess what I meant is there’s easier stones out there. A competent sharpener should do fine with this as a first Jnat. Given they have a little patience.

Here’s a quick polish on stainless. And let me clarify a little. This stone is not at all hard to use, I guess what I meant is there’s easier stones out there. A competent sharpener should do fine with this as a first Jnat. Given they have a little patience.

Sh*t, you cleaned that up well. Two thumbs up, one for @soigne_west and one for his uchi.

I’ll probably just keep the stone (everything else I’ve withdrawn immediately got people wanting to buy it in the past) 🤞

Back