oiling your knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VincentBeek

Reaction score
Soon my first carbon steel knife (white 1, stainless cladding) will arrive and I was wondering where you guys stand on oiling your knife?
Needed or just nice to do?
Only when the knife is new and not anymore after it formed a patina?

Are you only worried about the blade of the knife? Is the handle wood, or is it a manmade material (micarta etc)? I oil my knives (food safe mineral oil) to maintain the wood, moreso than the blades. As AFKitchenknivesguy stated above, if it's a user, it isn't as important, as you will notice anything bad happening before it can become an issue.

I oil both handle & blade, Especially for KU, it helps to make it last longer. Every time you wipe, you rub off a little bit of the KU, lubricants helps to reduce friction, thus less got rubbed off.

I oil both handle & blade, Especially for KU, it helps to make it last longer. Every time you wipe, you rub off a little bit of the KU, lubricants helps to reduce friction, thus less got rubbed off.
Your Ku must be very unstable. I've never oiled my Denka, Ku Mab or Kato Ku (all are daily drivers) and have seen no degradation in the finish. I just rinse with water and wipe dry with a clean dry cloth.
I only apply Tsubaki oil to my collector knives which i store in their boxes.

Maybe not all KU are the same? My Kurosaki has slight fading even with oiling.

BTW, what’s KU Mab?

Soon my first carbon steel knife (white 1, stainless cladding) will arrive and I was wondering where you guys stand on oiling your knife?
Needed or just nice to do?
Only when the knife is new and not anymore after it formed a patina?
If you're looking for a fast patina formation better not oil. Patina is a further oxidation of common rust. Rinse with hot water to accelerate the process.

Oil blade when storing for a significant amount of time. Oil handle, if not stabilized, once every 1-2 months or as needed. Depends heavily on the handle, wood and oil/sealant type and usage.

Thanks. I was talking about the blade. So I will just go with oiling when I plan not to use it for a couple of days.
I would hate it to wake up the next morning and find a brown rusty knife.

Thanks. I was talking about the blade. So I will just go with oiling when I plan not to use it for a couple of days.
I would hate it to wake up the next morning and find a brown rusty knife.
In your location which isn't too humid unless you live next to a dyke :) oiling for only a couple days is overkill imo
Most important is to put the knife away dry. Its too easy to think you dried it only to leave a thin film of water => rust

Part of this will also depend on location/environment. I live in the high desert where the average humidity is about 20%, and have never had problems with rust, as long as I dry my knives after washing. I have a bigger problem with keeping the wood from drying out, though I prefer stabilized woods for less maintenance <--personal preference.

If you live with higher humidity, then you'll have to pay more attention, and it may be necessary to oil your knife at least some, if not, on a regular basis. Like sharpening, you'll understand more of what's going on by paying attention to the knives, and how they are reacting over time. Example, it's best not to store a knife for years without taking it out once in a while to check on it.

Back