okay. be honest. do you put soy sauce on white rice?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh god what is happening. JK. My roots allow me to happily eat white rice straight out of the cooker. The more Cantonese-house smelling, the better. Unfortunately my own cooked food these days is far too utilitarian for me to discern between soy S’s.

My wife on the other hand is as Canadian as getting an ATV stuck in the woods. She grew up eating ketchup and soy sauce on rice. Stopped doing it around me entirely though.

Maybe not everyone's thing but growing up my grandparents often put grated yams in with the rice in the cooker

Sometimes it'd be the purple ones, sometimes the orange ones, other times the yellow ones, whatever was on sale

But ye, soy sauce rice, drop or two of sesame oil, fresh green onion, and a pack of nori - we vibin'

Last edited:
Can’t imagine adding soy sauce to white rice. My moms as white as you can get without igniting in sunlight, but rice simply wasn’t a thing they ate (potato’s or pasta), unless you wanted to be exotic and go to the Chinese restaurant.

Growing up, it was mostly Arab food. Definitely no soy or equivalent there, but rice was generally served with something soupy anyways.

As an adult I try to avoid white rice, too easy for me to overeat. Only sauce that touches it, is in the food itself. I don’t mind plain rice. I know many love the flavor, but I boring unless you doctor it up. But it’s functional and that what i want from it; a non-offensive pallet to soak up the sauce, fat or juices of the meal.

That being said, that suggestion to add soy or fish sauce directly to the cooking liquid seems like genius. I’ve done similar things with quinoa, but the most I’ve ever done for rice is a touch of butter or chicken base. Going to have to try this for rice.

Back