Old Iron meteorites

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Sinclair

Reaction score
Always liked Geology since took it at UH in 1969. Our text was Volcanos in the Sea.

I had been to California several times. Never out west. A friend had here in Hawaii father died left him a small camper van.1987 Took vacation & drove from Seattle south spectacular scenery. Would buy Geology pamphlets at places we would go. Yellowstone, hit quite a few rock shops. Would pay a little more for some choice fossils. Dinosaur state park, ending in Grand Canyon we took a raft ride with local indians. Was a great trip. Later I would take my vacations to go to National Parks in the spring before summer crowds.

When wanted a meteorite did research on line in early 1990's. Got a large 22# Campo del Cielo iron meteorite. Also a large slice of Campo. I soaked it in gun oil for couple days so wouldn't rust. Has held up well. Paid 380.00 for 22# rock & 80.00 for slice. Like fossils bought them because kind of stuff I like. Not at all thinking of value. Couple years later added a smaller 8# AAA top grade Campo iron paid 600.00 for it.
IMG_20201207_214721961.jpg
IMG_20201207_213329801.jpg

Now the 22# like mine go for two to three thousand. The large slice one thousand.
The spectacular 8# fully remaglypted ,thumb print. These of this quality are getting harder to find.
IMG_20201207_212934380.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201207_214131905.jpg
    IMG_20201207_214131905.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 16
I have read that going from bronze to iron age was because. of iron meteorites. Making weapons & tools.

Some slices of stone & iron meteorite mix. These are all from Africa. Larger pieces were sliced & coated with resin in China to keep the iron from rusting.

You can still get large stony iron meteorite slices from China for reasonable price.

IMG_20210125_001916518.jpg

IMG_20210125_002026694_HDR.jpg

Love these - would love to have a piece of the universe, but who knows whether it’s real

I saw a meteorite handled small knife at Couteaux Courty in Paris - it was for Euro 20,000

The handle was amazing as was the knife

But I would rather get a JLC store 5 min walk from this incredible knife store, and wear it on my wrist for 20K

None of these are fake, but as with other things of value they do exist, it is pretty obvious what is real or not. These days only very small slices are not cheap for what they are. Most iron Meteorites are measured in grams vast majority not even one pound. So pebbles.

When I got mine almost 30 yrs. ago wanted fairly large iron. At the time the Campo Del Cielo from Argentina you could get large meteorites for reasonable price. They are heavier than they look. Everyone I hand it to first comment is it is so heavy.

You can still get them large ones are no longer in the hundreds now in the thousands. I was really surprised how much they had gone up.

The AAA museum grade pieces are harder to find. If I were to get one would get the high grade at least five pounds. If you can find one.

Most places are rip off small slices & little pebbles for couple hundred dollars.

If you Google Campo Del Cielo meteorites a guy sells them on EBAY. Jack LaCroix Geodes Etc. About the best deal you can get for larger pieces.

Just to put in perspective my 22+# is 10,371.00 grams.

Most meteorites sold are about as big as your fingernail. You can still get larger ones but they cost more. Iron must be at least 4,000.00 grams to have some size.

Love these - would love to have a piece of the universe, but who knows whether it’s real

I saw a meteorite handled small knife at Couteaux Courty in Paris - it was for Euro 20,000

The handle was amazing as was the knife

But I would rather get a JLC store 5 min walk from this incredible knife store, and wear it on my wrist for 20K
When/if forged the meteorite looses it's characteristic patterns, so in the case of forged "meteorite" damascus knife it gets a little difficult to know.

Back