Old Sabatier blanks - from hunks of steel to knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kotte

Reaction score
So, after seeing @stringer posting pictures of a giant carbon Sabatier, me (and a couple of other guys I will not expose here) felt a need to get hold of some of those blanks too. And we managed to, thanks to one fantastic KKF member who will not be named (unless he wants to). Below you see pics of the blanks. They are rough unfinished blanks forgotten in a warehouse in the us (don’t ask for more details). They need grinding, heat treatment and handles. These 3 arrived about a week ago:
IMG_4417.jpg
IMG_4421.jpg

IMG_4419.jpg

I’m not sure you can tell from the pictures but there’s a lot of steel to remove. The chef knives weigh about 500 gr each and they are about 3 mm at the edge.
And that’s where dedication comes in. These are going to be great cutters.
I will share some pics from the process, start to finish. Those who have tamed these beasts before me, or are in the process of doing it, please feel free to contribute. It would be fun seeing the differences between the end results!

For what it's worth I never heat treated mine. And it holds an edge just fine. Although if I had to do it over again I might anneal it, grind it, re-heat treat. Grinding all that hardened steel with steel files and hand sanding was not fun. I have a belt sander now, but then you gotta be real careful not to overheat it. Anyways good luck.

Here's some inspiration. Looks like that was about a year ago when I finished. I bought it a year before that, lol.

Stringer WIP

Instagram pics
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs6EdWlBNZI/?igshid=s79ejrx4a0wr

Here's a more recent shot. Not pretty, but it fills a role that few Japanese knives can lay claim to.

IMG_20200112_123333~2.jpg

Last edited:
I had Fell finish a few for me, and one underway now with Graydon... check these babies out.
IMG_2987.jpg

Started as the full tang with bolster. Had him cut the lip at the heel and save the bolster, then heat treat them honyaki (or as he calls it, rainbow quench). African black wood.

@Gregmega Wow! They look amazing! Knife beauty eye candy. How do they perform?

Also, I kind of regret requesting pictures now that I’ve seen yours. [emoji22] You raised the bar a bit.

Amazing knives you guys have, makes me envious! 500g for a blank is a lot of metal to remove by hand, good luck there, you might break an atoma or two there just thinning it

I would definitely do what Greg did and get rid of that annoying full bolster too.

@Gregmega Wow! They look amazing! Knife beauty eye candy. How do they perform?

Also, I kind of regret requesting pictures now that I’ve seen yours. [emoji22] You raised the bar a bit.

Ha! They’re great- he ground them really thin behind the edge and left all the heft in the spine. To be fair- I sought professional help- so don’t measure yourself against that!!
IMG_2994.jpg

Profiles on all Sab's look amazing...!!! just saying :D

The profiles are really cool. With the right amount of time, know-how and tools you can shape them in many different ways. I like the flexibility of it [emoji16]

Last edited:
Haha, why scared? The amount of work? The sweet reward of a sharp gentle giant or petty petty?

The work and mess. I live in an apartment where my workspace such as it is, is shared with my wife. The amount of time on a 140 or coarser is daunting, more so is the "what's that awful noise??", queries coming every few minutes. Recently though my wife found out that we might have access to a forge and belt sander, albeit over an hours drive from us. So I might take it up and the pics of these project knives are inspirational.

The work and mess. I live in an apartment where my workspace such as it is, is shared with my wife. The amount of time on a 140 or coarser is daunting, more so is the "what's that awful noise??", queries coming every few minutes. Recently though my wife found out that we might have access to a forge and belt sander, albeit over an hours drive from us. So I might take it up and the pics of these project knives are inspirational.

I hear you (and our loved ones hear us). I’m doing this at home, with wife and kids, in a small apartment. So power tools are out of the question due to noise and mess anyway. But time is on my side. Or not even that. [emoji16]

it would be wise to re-ht these i think. and then you can use powertools at high rpm too. without ruining any temper. its probably close to 1095 i'd guess.

it would be wise to re-ht these i think. and then you can use powertools at high rpm too. without ruining any temper. its probably close to 1095 i'd guess.

Thanks, I don’t think power tools is an option, sadly, but re-ht might very well be.

Back