Older Wusthof? Any Info?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathanholt

Reaction score
Came across an old Wusthof. I had never seen these markings before but saw recently they were using it again for their 200 year anniversary sets. Anyone know what years they ran this marking?

Attachments

• Wusthof.jpg
    Wusthof.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 59
Looks to be a stainless meant for the home market. Export requires mentioning of the country of origin, which is absent here. European makers have produced stainless for export, especially to North-America, long before successfully introducing it at home. My guess would be this one is from the sixties, or a much more recent one from some special edition.
Quite sure Wüsthof has very well documented its logos.
Screenshot_20210118_190723.jpg

These pamphlets have at least some sketchy information and some random photos:

https://issuu.com/wuesthof/docs/the-history-of-w__sthof/36
https://issuu.com/wuesthof/docs/wuesthof_catalogue-2020_en_issuu/8
One of them says that 1998 was when they stopped using the word "Dreizack" - but it's not clear from the context whether they meant just the little red logo sticker, or whether they meant on everything.

It may help when looking at the older ads to notice the style of lettering (meaning on the magazine page, though maybe on the knife too) and what else they put into the photographs - if you can't date a knife, you can often date a clothing style or a typeface.

My guess would be this one is from the sixties, or a much more recent one from some special edition.
The style of lettering on the knife itself (especially the "Ed. Wüsthof" in an outline font and the "Dreizackwerk" in bold below it) is almost certainly not a 1960s style. I'd expect those letters to be from the 1990s or later.

I don't mean the layout necessarily. It's the shape of each individual letter, the font they used, that seems 90s or later to me.

One of them says that 1998 was when they stopped using the word "Dreizack" - but it's not clear from the context whether they meant just the little red logo sticker, or whether they meant on everything.
The red trident logo only got dropped fairly recent. Somewhere in the last few years; a Dutch webstore was selling their last stock last christmas.
Even on the newer models the trident is still used, but now it's a black/grey one in a circle.

I think it's a "Wüsthof Classic 200th Anniversary" from 2014. (Assuming it's stainless and has a black handle)

The red trident logo only got dropped fairly recent. Somewhere in the last few years; a Dutch webstore was selling their last stock last christmas.
Even on the newer models the trident is still used, but now it's a black/grey one in a circle.
I was referring to the word "Dreizack", not the symbol.

Yes but my point is that, given that the red logo was still in use much more recent, they must have been talking about the word...

Yes but my point is that, given that the red logo was still in use much more recent, they must have been talking about the word...
My point is that that's exactly what I said in the first place. :)

But maybe I said it in a wrong or ambiguous way.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I figured out my grammar mistake or whatever it was. In 1998, Wüsthof definitely removed the word Dreizack from their little red stickers, but kept the symbol. I think they also removed that word from the knives at the same time, but I don't know because what I was reading wasn't perfectly specific. That's what I meant in the first place, but apparently it came out confusing.

Last edited:
Back