One and done travel stone for the holidays

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cho 800 is too big, imo. You don't got room for that in your suitcase, with the base and everything! Plus, I took it on a trip with me once to sharpen some knives, and had to do some really dull ones. Took forever.

Maybe you should just bring an Atoma 140 and be done with it. :)

PS. Did you get a SG 500 yet? Come on, man.

PPS. For a 2 stone combo, SG 220 and 1000 is probably a good idea, as @dafox says. I've never used the 1k, but the 220's fast. And if you stack them they're still thinner than Cho 800. :)

Cho 800 is too big, imo. You don't got room for that in your suitcase, with the base and everything! Plus, I took it on a trip with me once to sharpen some knives, and had to do some really dull ones. Took forever.

Maybe you should just bring an Atoma 140 and be done with it. :)

PS. Did you get a SG 500 yet? Come on, man.

PPS. For a 2 stone combo, SG 220 and 1000 is probably a good idea, as @dafox says. I've never used the 1k, but the 220's fast. And if you stack them they're still thinner than Cho 800. :)
Glue cardboard to the other side of the atoma.

I always forget about the base. All my chosera’s have no base which makes them very travel friendly but they’re a little less common than the ones with the base.

Shapton pro 1k would be the other choice. Finishes substantially more coarse than the naniwa but it’s definitely enough polish for crappy steel. Plus it has the nice little travel case. Nice and cheap too!

DMT duosharp coarse/extra coarse + a SG 1k-3k should do the trick for any stainless knives. Less than 1 inch tall combined and you'll be able to keep your stone flat too. Atoma cuts faster but the DMT style diamond plates are better for SS knives IMO.

I tried travelling with a Naniwa combo stone but found it too small and too slow. At the time I nabbed a smallish Aizu and it performed quite well. Playing around with slurry & water levels I was able to tackle quite a range of knives. If I had to buy just the one stone that would travel well as per the OP's question, it would be the Shapton Pro 1k. It's pretty quick, handles a variety of steels and comes in a box that doubles as a stand.

My travel kit usually involves Shaptons, this year I think it's going to be SG500, SP1000, SG4000. If I know I'm visting someone with a Shun or three I might take the Gesshin 1 and 6K plates and the SG500 to get things started.

I too prefer the Gesshin soakers for my home use but for use on the road, the Shaptons are the easy button.

Over in another knife forum I visit, diamond stones are highly regarded. Probably for the ability to quickly abrade the more complex stainless steels. One of these diamond stones may be worth looking into for a travel stone. They certainly fit the requirements you have listed.
Do you have any additional information about diamond stones.

Get shapton glass, grid depands on what you gonna sharp & steel. Won't regrets.

DMT duosharp coarse/extra coarse + a SG 1k-3k should do the trick for any stainless knives. Less than 1 inch tall combined and you'll be able to keep your stone flat too. Atoma cuts faster but the DMT style diamond plates are better for SS knives IMO.

This is a great suggestion and is exactly my travel setup (Duosharp + Shapton Glass 1k) for sharpening the soft stainless knives of friends and relatives. I just used it last week to resharpen my own old and inexpensive set of stainless steak knives and it made quick work of an unpleasant task.

Sorry I'm late to return to this, site stopped pinging me with updates.

I'm going to pull the trigger on the SG500, may the double-stuff since it's got the travel case as well. I can also use it to remove 220 scratches when thinning. I do have a 1k diamond as a 'break glass in an emergency' stone.

One day on that vitrified 800, but probably not today.

If your relatives are the same as most relatives in the way they threat their knives, a 1-2k will not be sufficient.
Thats only enough for when you call your knives very dull..

Prepare to see all kinds of chips on soft crappy knives, which will need a 200-kinda range stone to be efficient.

So either you take that one stone and make coarse edges which still give a sharper edge on their knives then they were before, or accept you need 2 stones to go to your relatives, unless you want to avoid them while you visit them ;) Then I would suggest take your 4k stone only

God love Japan for their packaging. $55 well spent
C588F62C-C694-4FA8-94F6-8A2917A41CA8.jpeg

I flatten them usually every time I actually use them. If I just do a few swipes across them, I don't bother flattening again. They don't dish that fast. They don't stay flat forever either.

Latest posts

Back