One end of the stone is thicker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruso

Reaction score
How to fix the stone that is flat but one end is thicker than another? Which end of stone should be away from me when sharpening to even it out overtime?

Just leave it flat, if you want to make it totally horizontal, you could by using flattening plates but you would be wasting more stone material than you would need to.

If you're looking to get it evened out by sharpening, just rotate the stone 180 degrees and sharpen as usual, it will even out over time.

Whichever end of the stone you generally use more, make that the high side.
Well, here is the problem. I use my stones evenly, or that what I thought...o_O

I remember few years ago Jon was giving advise on this topic but I dont even remotely remember what the thread was about to find it.

I think it also has to do with one’s flattening technique. I flatten a lot, and I think that when I do it, I naturally use more pressure on the part of the stone that’s farther away from me, which perhaps flattens that side faster. Making sure to rotate the stone periodically is the way to do it.

I rotate the stone every few passes. I also keep the diamond plate on the ground and do not do this with both of them in my hands. It's faster and more reliable this way.

I think while sharpening I wear down the part of the stone that is far away from me. Because you can sharpen near the edge of the stone that is far a way from you. But if you try that with the edge close to you, you have a greater risk of the knife falling off the stone.

I think while sharpening I wear down the part of the stone that is far away from me. Because you can sharpen near the edge of the stone that is far a way from you. But if you try that with the edge close to you, you have a greater risk of the knife falling off the stone.
I feel like a T-Rex unless I step back lol

I will try putting the thicker end away from me, hopefully thats the right position for me as well.

Thanks all for the suggestion on how to prevent this from happening, I already follow the rotation procedure during sharpening and during flattening. Some stones have been long time with me; before I was mediocre at this.

When I was at this stage of the game I posed a similar question that included my anal fixation on the stone not just being flat but parallel (square) as well. Responses suggested that as long as the top of the stone was flat, relative to itself, all would be good and I've seen nothing over the years to suggest otherwise.

Now when receiving a stone I mark the sides or bottom to indicate which is the top (the surface I sharpen on) As long as that plane stays flat I'm good.

For S&G check this out. How flat is flat?

When flattening, i use more pressure on the stone that is close to me. Its where my palm rests ... not that big of a deal though, might actually be better at allowing the excess slurry to run off Esp on a coarse stone where fresh aggregate is the best for steel removal.
Look at some of the guys in japan sharpen on youtube ,,, they use 1/2 the stone at a time.

Look at this guy sharpening a Katana ... (around the 10 minute mark)

Back