One Recipe. Only one. And you vouch for it.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do this too. One trick I use is I cover the pan with a pizza screen so the steam can escape easier. Makes for more excitement and a louder popping noise which is fun too.
Yup, this idea was JUST mentioned in the Popcorn thread LoL started. can't believe after 15 years I hadn't thought of this!

The Pommes Boulangere from Coliccio's Craft of Cooking is so badass. It's a PITA to peel a bunch of fingerling potatoes, but it's sooooooooooooooooooooooo worth it.

scrubbie will take those peels right off sandpaper works well too just, rinse real good.

Picked up some Italian sausage at the farmer's market the other day and tried Jim's sauce recipe with it. It was great! I really like the effect browning the tomatoes has on the flavor. Thanks, Jim!

Picked up some Italian sausage at the farmer's market the other day and tried Jim's sauce recipe with it. It was great! I really like the effect browning the tomatoes has on the flavor. Thanks, Jim!
Great to hear..Nona would be happy...:thumbsup:

Bacon Weave Meatloaf stuffed with cheese is one of my go too recipes for company.

ISrjk.St.117.jpg

http://www.dfw.com/2012/09/10/678711/weekend-chef-bacon-wrapped-meatloaf.html

Chilli. Probably not terribly authentic but I've tried a few different ways and stuck with one and of all the things I ever cook, it's by far my favourite and with others who have tried it too.

We got this recipe from Bon Apetit magazine about 20 years ago. It didn't have the salt or liqueur in it, I think they add but aren't mandatory. It's just about the perfect chocolate cake, IMO. Dense, moist, and rich. It's also one of the easiest to make cakes in the world and almost foolproof. (Leaving the wax paper on the bottom or overcooking a little bit are recoverable. Dropping the cake onto the bottom of the oven when you take it out to cover it with foil isn't so great, but if you have the ingredients you can have another whipped up and in the oven in minutes.)

Almost Flourless Chocolate Cake

10 oz bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
5 large eggs
1 1/4 cup sugar
5 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
A couple glugs of liqueur (Grand Marnier & Chambord are nice--use what you like)
A couple pinches salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour 10 inch springform pan, and line the bottom with waxed paper. Melt together chocolate & butter, remove from heat and stir in liqueur.

Beat eggs and sugar in large bowl until well blended and starting to thicken. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt over eggs and fold in. Gradually fold in chocolate mixture, then pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 20 minutes, then cover pan with foil and bake about 30 minutes longer, until tester comes out with moist crumbs still attached (don't overcook!)

Cool in pan on rack (cake will fall). Remove cake from pan (don't forget to take off the waxed paper.) Dust with powdered sugar and cocoa.

Good with ice cream, whipped cream, unwhipped cream, fruit, or naked (you, the cake, or both.)

Do you think this would work with almond flour? I have an inlaw that is gluten free coming and I am not really sure what to make for dessert.

First of all, the number of dishes in this thread has me salivating and wanting to cook a lot more. I am going to do my best and try most of them. I may fail and not make them all, but it will be a tasty failure.

As for my submission, I am choosing Molly Stevens' Roast Chicken Pieces Dijonnaise. I must say, however, that this recipe was not one that I would have normally chosen. I think it was maybe the descriptor of Dijonnaise -- it sounds sort of clichéed and commercial. Anyhow, I was borrowing Justin0505's Fowler honesuki and looking for different recipes that called for breaking down a chicken, so I chose this one one evening. Since then (Nov 2012) I have made it around ten times. It's easy, extremely tasty, and my wife loves it. She calls the resulting sauce of mustard, creme fraiche, chicken fat, and dry vermouth her crack cocaine soup.

The active time for this recipe is very minimal (around 20 mins); you just have to prepare a bit ahead of time as it needs 1.5 hours for the chicken to marinate in the mustard. Btw, this reminds that I should try a Lyonnaise chicken dish with a red wine vinegar sauce. I had it in Lyon a few years back and it was fabulous. Side track.

So here are the photos of the recipe pages from the cookbook.

k.

Edit: My only recommendation is to use the best quality creme fraiche you can get. That alouette stuff sucked and didn't work hardly at all.

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

Do you think this would work with almond flour? I have an inlaw that is gluten free coming and I am not really sure what to make for dessert.

Don't know what effect the almond flour would have, but it's worth a try. I'd have a good ice cream (for my tastes, it would be coffee) & whip up some cream. If the cake doesn't work, you'll have tasty chocolate crumbles to put on ice cream with a dollop of whipped cream.

Chili Verde

Several pounds of pork shoulder cut up
Flour (corn or whatever)
Handful of Anaheim chilis
A yellow onion
Pile of garlic
A pile of tomatillos
Yellow potatoes
Cumin
Oregano
Chix broth
Salt & pepper

Peel and rinse tomatillos, cut in half and place on baking sheet, char under broiler. Char peppers, place in paper bag for 10 minutes then peel and deseed.
Put tomatillos and peppers in chop-o-matic and mutilate.
Brown onion and garlic in vessel that the pork was browned in, deglazing with something if needed. Add fresh ground using and oregano, releasing their aromas, then add the mutilated veggies and the pork. Add enough broth to cover, some s&p, and simmer for an hour or so, then add diced potatoes. Cook for another hour or 2 and reduce to a nice consistence if needed, correct seasoning.
Serve with rice.
Hot chilies can be added as needed or tolerated.

I am eating chicken pizza with my favourite coke after a long time and makes me happy.

Thomas Keller's Fried Chicken from Ad Hoc, hands down an unbelievable dish every time! I'll take a photo of the recipe tomorrow.

Ok, slight bump on this thread. I am going to start happily working through these recipes. I cooked my Molly Stevens' dish tonight and it was an easy hit again, but there are so many tasty ideas here. I have to break out.

I think I am going to start with Stereo's fried chicken as I have that book on hand. But someone dropped off a bunch of rhubarb, so tomorrow strawberry rhubarb pie comes first. I've never baked a pie before -- this should be interesting.

Anyhow, I am going to partially promise to make any dish posted in this thread. The only caveat is that at any time I can choose to NOT make any dish in this thread and break my promise ;) It is sort of a challenge without obligation -- just shame if I don't do it. But I am from the upper midwest and shame is a powerful motivator thanks to a boatload of Scandinavian Lutherans.

And then again I will likely be moving in 3-5 months, so I might have that on my plate too. At that point in time, all bets are off.

k.

Thanks for the bump on the poor mans equally non-existent KKF cookbook. Sounds like i may, or may not, hear of your endeavours.

Here is another one that works on a real BBQ or just a grill.

Always a crowd favorite!

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Enjoy!
Thanks TJ!​

Chilli. Probably not terribly authentic but I've tried a few different ways and stuck with one and of all the things I ever cook, it's by far my favourite and with others who have tried it too.

Are you going to share?

Always a crowd favorite!

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Enjoy!
Thanks TJ!​

If you were to dip them in beer batter and deep fry them and serve with spicy guacamole? hmmmmm?

I think they're called Armadillo Eggs if I'm not mistaken.

Always a crowd favorite!

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Enjoy!
Thanks TJ!​

Are you going to share?

Like I say, the recipe is not authentic in the slightest, but for any of the US recipes I've read, you just can't get the ingredients here in Europe. So maybe you wouldn't even call it chilli? Also I generally make it for a few people, some of whom don't like anything super spicy. I just get quite a lot of beef mince, fry it with some onions and about 6 cloves of garlic then throw in about half a jar of roasted red peppers I've cut up. Add cumin and hot paprika, Worcestershire sauce, chipotle paste, tomato puree and about 2 tins of chopped tomatoes. Then add a 660ml bottle of beer (I use San Miguel) and simmer it for about an hour an a half. Then just before I serve it I add a little brown sugar and cinnamon, and that's it

Thomas Keller's Fried Chicken from Ad Hoc, hands down an unbelievable dish every time! I'll take a photo of the recipe tomorrow.

So I did TK's fried chicken tonight and it was amazing. I love the spice and it was the moistest fried chicken I have ever had. The only thing I would do is cut down the brining time from 12 to 8 hours. TK said that going beyond 12 hours will make the meat too salty, and at 12 it was a tad on the salty side for me. TK often admits to the fact he has become desensitized to salt and he travels with a little salt box so he can salt his dishes more at restaurants, so I sometimes try to cut back on salt in his dishes because I assume he errs on the side of salt.

With that said, it was awesome and I will definitely do it again. Thanks for sharing this.

Next up: probably Jim's pasta and Lucretia's chocolate cake for my daughter's birthday. And once I can find good fingerlings at the farmers' markets I will try kynfe's rec on Pommes Boulangere from Coliccio.

k.

hanger steak with agrodolce sauce. Got this from a TV show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate." It's from Fig restaurant in SC and the recipe wasn't specific. I emailed Fig with what I thought it was and they said it wasn't on the menu at the moment (nice way of saying "We're not giving you the recipe") but what I had was about right.

Last night the 12 year-old daughter of our friends asked us to "Make that steak thing again when we come to your house." She remembered it from a year ago.

Mire poix of carrots, onions and garlic
Tomato paste
Balsamic
Saba
Aromatics
Beef stock
Veal stock

Reduce and strain

hanger steak with agrodolce sauce. Got this from a TV show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate." It's from Fig restaurant in SC and the recipe wasn't specific.

I went looking for details on this (still don't have enough of them for me to feel confident that I could do it right without some experimentation), and found the video:

[video=vimeo;14611357]http://vimeo.com/14611357[/video]

I've made this about 10 times, always to rave reviews. Approximates:

Mire poix:
1 onion
1 carrot
4-5 garlic cloves

1 cup beef stock (they recommend using steak trimmings, but unless you're making a lot of hanger steaks, there isn't much to trim off each one)
1/2 cup veal stock
1/2 cup balsamic
1/2 cup saba (it's a PITA to find and can be expensive. On a few occasions I substituted a pound of white grapes, crushed them, boiled them down to 1/2 cup)
2 tbs tomato paste

Aromatics: several sprigs of rosemary and thyme or whatever you like. Lately I've added juniper berries

My goto meal if i'm having a shite day is a Sous vide 2" thick rib eye steak. 132F for 8 hours, seasoned with S&P, butter, a shake of garlic powder, spring of greek oregano. Seared off on a charcoal grill or a stupid hot cast iron pan. Once maillard skin appears, rub with a piece of garlic. Rest steak on cooling rack.

Strain steak bag juice with double layer of cheese cloth or chinois, make a pan sauce with steak fond. I like red wine, steak bag juice, lemon or good white wine vinegar, butter and s&p.

Serve steak with some roasted veg, some kind of mash or wilted greens. I like the steak on some wilted fresh spinach or pea shoots/spinach salad with a tart lemon and dijon vinaigrette, chevre or shaved hard cheese, and some kind of toasted nuts.

A fresh horse raddish dip is killer with the steak as well. Grated fresh horse raddish (more or less depending on how spicy you like it), 1:1 mayo and 14% MF sour cream, squeeze of lime, S&P.

Needless to say, we don't go out to restaurants for steak.

I've made this about 10 times, always to rave reviews. Approximates:

Mire poix:
1 onion
1 carrot
4-5 garlic cloves

1 cup beef stock (they recommend using steak trimmings, but unless you're making a lot of hanger steaks, there isn't much to trim off each one)
1/2 cup veal stock
1/2 cup balsamic
1/2 cup saba (it's a PITA to find and can be expensive. On a few occasions I substituted a pound of white grapes, crushed them, boiled them down to 1/2 cup)
2 tbs tomato paste

Aromatics: several sprigs of rosemary and thyme or whatever you like. Lately I've added juniper berries

Oh you jerk. Now I have to try this. It sounds rediculous. I've saving the last of my veal stock in the freezer for something epic.

Could you just reduce 100% no sugar added grape juice? Or would you be missing out on the bitter from the seeds and skin?

Latest posts

Back