One stone to work on technique

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esoo

┐⁠(⁠ ⁠∵⁠ ⁠)⁠┌
KKF Lifetime Supporter KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my goal this year was to try and become a better sharpener. At this point, my thought is to step away from using the wide range of stones that I have and focus on getting the best edges I can using a single stone. I figure this is the best way to learn technique rather than just doing the same thing over and over on different stones.

So my thought is a mid-grid, and looking over my stones that leaves me with the choice of a Shapton Pro 1K. Of course in reading, I also see that the Naniwa Pro 800 is a great stone for this kind of work, so thinking I may buy it even though I have no real need. I'm a splash and go kind of guy, so that is the kind of stones I'm looking at. I don't think diamonds are the choice for this kind of technique learning.

Any thoughts?

when I read your title I immediately thought of the SP1k. a hard-ish mid-grit sounds ideal for this. with soft, muddy stones like King 800 I find it easier to get a sharp edge even when I know I haven't put my best effort.

just food for thought - I'd also consider something hard and fine, like a 3-4k hard synth or Aizu / BBW. they are slower so you have to keep a consistent angle for more time to get a burr. a natty like Aizu or BBW also "teach" you to work with pressure and slurry/water management.

so I guess it depends on what specific skill you are trying to improve, within sharpening. but a SP1k + hard 3-4k should be interesting (not a single stone, but anyways...).

Maybe I should've mentioned my kit - Nanohone 200, SG500, SP1K, SG3,6,8K, SP12K, Naniwa Diamond 3K, Coticule/BBW, loaded and unload leather strops.

I know my technique needs improvement - for example, I can get decent edge on Blue#2, but can't sharpen SG2 worth crap. So I want to focus on basics like angle control and pressure. And rather than having the variables of multiple stones, work with one so I'm know that it's not the stone, it's me.

I went on a natural stone buying spree last year. I think I need to do the same. I just bought them now, because they can only go up in price.

Your 500 and 1k are where you should focus. Lots of folks will say to stick to the 1k as it can bring back a lot of edges and still not remove too much metal as you learn. Nothing wrong with that but I'd advocate a different approach. I'd mark your bevel with a Sharpie (I like red as it is easier to see) and then do some sharpening strokes on say your 3k or 6k. Just looking for marker removal, not any actual edge work. This may help you get a visual without removing metal.

Then I like to tell folks to drop down to that 500 if you have it. It's faster. That means quicker feedback and also less time on the stone means less chances of screwing up. Use your marker and check often. A couple strokes and check.

For R2, I think deburring is crucial. I'd focus on that and find BBW a great tool for the job. When my edges aren't lasting as long as I think they should, I get out the BBW, and that usually cleans them up right away.

But for the main question, I would pick SP1K.

Back