One stone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chosera 1k or Practical Sharpening Vitriefied Diamond 3k (need to work with it to see)....

Would anyone suggest other than coticule natural stone (what could be fast enough starts like below 1k and finishes around +3k?) ?

I gave mine away as found I preferred j stones for speed and ease. For gentle work on a razor I can see them being useful, for quickly putting a good edge on a kitchen knife other options are better IMO
Interesting... you're not just saying to make me feel better? ;)
Your point probably explains why they have such varying prominence in different communities. You hardly hear mention of them on knife forums. But razor communities have gone nuts over them for years, driving up demand and prices. But at the current prices even for shaving I would think there must be better and more economical options.

Another natural stone option would be a Cretan oil stone.

With / without slurry (if it is a good specimen) it could cover the gritrange from # 1000 to # 4000. However, this only applies to sharpening, not to thinning.

I'd probably choose my Naniwa Pro 800 as a versatile choice. I just got it, along with several other stones, so don't have a lot of experience but I was happily surprised with this one even the first time I used it.

Chosera (Pro) 800 as one stone to rule em all.
However. if we are talking about all type of steels, a bonded diamond stone should be it.

I was expecting to find that there is a thread for this already, but my search came up empty.

If you could have only one sharpening stone for the remainder of your days (exactly one, the Philosopher's Stone, if you will), what would it be?

My thinking is something like the Chosera 800 would probably be it. Coarse enough to do minor repairs (with a lot of effort), and fine enough to get a knife seriously sharp.

Any other suggestions?
Yeah +1 for the old chosera 800. As long as I'm just using it for kitchen knives, then especially so.

SG500. Sharpen 10 knives, $5/each. Buy SP1000. Sharpen 10 more knives. Buy SP2000....

I don't do rules well......

Last edited:
Chosera (Pro) 800 as one stone to rule em all.
However. if we are talking about all type of steels, a bonded diamond stone should be it.
Pretty much exactly how I feel

Badass stone. That’s what I’m using as my daily driver now on client knives, followed by Cho 800 and sometimes preceded by SG 220 or 120.

Is the benefit of the 400 mainly the speed?

It's off topic but guide me to the right place. Is there any method to deburr on one single medium stone?

It's similar to deburring on a finer stone, just got to be more mindful of the pressure applied. Stropping motions edge leading (Kippington's method works great), then trailing.

It's similar to deburring on a finer stone, just got to be more mindful of the pressure applied. Stropping motions edge leading (Kippington's method works great), then trailing.

Perfect. I just read through that Fiesta thread.

Back