Oouichi vs Hideriyama

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soigne_west

Reaction score
Now that Jon’s shipping again, and I have nothing better to do...

Jon lists a lot of the similarities to me on his site. Being a novice at Jnats, what are the main differences? I know different people like different thing s in stones but if you guys had to choose one... which one and why?

Also a novice but I talked this one thru with Jon. I got the HiDe because I think it said it might be a little softer. I get an amazing edge off of it. I don’t think there’s much difference between the two of them. Just reach out to him if you are thinking of getting one.

Now that Jon’s shipping again, and I have nothing better to do...

Jon lists a lot of the similarities to me on his site. Being a novice at Jnats, what are the main differences? I know different people like different thing s in stones but if you guys had to choose one... which one and why?

do you want to polish bevels and knives or sharpen? i think this may help determine the answer as well.

Polish, I contacted Jon. Went with the Hideriyama cause it’s a little softer.

When i tried them, they were way more similar than not. The softer one would probably give a darker finish. Because each stone differs, you could just ask them for one that gives the darkest contrast.

Also if you're after just dark dark kasumi, I think their jinzo aoto does a better job, but ask the shop about their opinion as well, since they use them almost everyday.

That’s a low-medium grit stone, though, so you’ll still see a lot of scratches. Different kind of finish. I got to use @CiderBear’s recently.

First is about 90 seconds on JKI Hideriyama

second is a Uchi I got from Nutmeg

3rd is mud from 10 seconds of polishing.

pardon the scratches
61FBB50E-2F28-4824-9DD9-26967C01AAA4.jpeg
E38B162F-DEF5-41E9-B94E-2719DC2B00FF.jpeg
D4F8FD05-E68E-46BE-8C4A-A7B578BF35B7.jpeg

Back