Open Source Idea -- Custom Butter/Table Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the beginning stages of planning for a set of 4-6 damascus butter/table knives. My idea is to have different forum knife makers make a butter knife (w/o handle) to spec with a different type of damascus steel. Then I would send the knives to one person for the handles. So basically it will be 4-6 different types of damascus with the same style handle to sort of make it a set.

I want the knives to be versatile -- to be used as regular table knives, pastry knives, condiment spreaders, cheese knives etc. I am thinking of those vintage butter knives (see pictures below), but I thought I would throw it out to the forum for input. Since it involves different makers I want the specs to be sound first.

Some things I am considering (or not decided on) are:

* Making one side with a bevel or making it equally flat/sharp on each side.
* Wa handles or a modified full-tang wa like Del's knives.
* Optimal length? If it is too long it gets cumbersome for condiments. I've even thought of doing a longer one paired with a shorter 'brother' for condiments.
* Shape of blade. I am fond of the very rounded tip with no belly.

Does anyone have any good ideas or things I should consider? See some of the exemplar photos below.

Btw, I've already mentioned this to a couple knife makers and will be contacting others. If any are interested please PM me.

k.

butter1.jpg

butter2.jpg

butter3.jpg

butter4.jpg

butter5.jpeg

butter6.jpg

I'm more into the idea of normal kitchen knives than butter knives. If they are sharpened and can be used as general table knives - I can spread butter with a steak knife but not vice versa, I would love to get on board for a set of 6 to make this more sensible for the makers in volume (if that is a consideration).

If you want to keep this one of a kind, I'll happily bow out... :)

see if you can find some pics of the old russell green river works table knives, I think that might be what you are looking for.

Son, I think you are right. It has a nice length, a clear bevel to one side and the rounded tip. Here are some pictures I rounded up.

Thanks.

k.

RGRW1.png

RGRW2.png

RGRW3.png

RGRW4.jpg

Cool idea. Will be fun to watch this come together.

I would keep the butter knives small (like the one at the bottom of your first post). They are easier to use and to rest on one's butter plate.

Wa handles are definitely my preference when it comes to kitchen knives, but I don't know about table knives...

I just bought a couple samples off of eBay to see how they look.

k.
I was high bidder. You sniped those in the last 5 sec. I need a quicker Internet provider and a automatic bidding program. Bastard!!

That's hilarious that all three of you were bidding on the same item. You two just cost Drinky some money!

Let's see what had you all so excited.

That's hilarious that all three of you were bidding on the same item. You two just cost Drinky some money!

Let's see what had you all so excited.

Actually, I was shill bidding for the owner. :rofl2: Never would have done that if I knew son was bidding on it. Oops, actually it just appeared that way I was trying to win. Darn! I hate losing.

Great idea, but I love these old bakelite knives with the round tips, I would probably leave them as they are. If I had the funds, I would go for a varied set of steak knives instead, but I will still sit back and watch this project, I'd love to see how that goes.

Stefan

Actually, I was shill bidding for the owner. :rofl2: Never would have done that if I knew son was bidding on it. Oops, actually it just appeared that way I was trying to win. Darn! I hate losing.

actually, i have no idea what Karring bought, I was going to bid on a few russell table/ dinner knives and send them to him as samples, but somebody bought them before I could pull the trigger.

actually, i have no idea what Karring bought, I was going to bid on a few russell table/ dinner knives and send them to him as samples, but somebody bought them before I could pull the trigger.
Good to hear. I have stayed away from eBay other than bidding on Vintage berkel slicers.

You could consider doing it in damascus and no wooden handle. Like this:
t1103butterknife01-500x500.jpg
t1103butterknife03-500x500.jpg

Here is another option:
smoerkniv.jpg

Me on the other hand would have gone for fewer but bigger butter knives.
Ive fallen in love with this one:
1742.jpg

That kind of shape. You wanna have a knife with that big surface :) I would go western handle. My 2 cent

Last edited:
Oivind, that first one would be a very cool shape for condiment servers. I was considering these Pendray knives a while back, and I loved the look of having the entire knife out of damascus.

k.

pendrayt-wootz-2-94.jpg

Hi everyone

Jürgen Schnanz offeres semi-custom classic german breakfast-knives (Buckels) made from Niolox/SB1 : http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?t=88997
Herdes has them in carbon/cherry: http://www.messer-mit-tradition.de/windmuehlenmesser.php?Buckels-Besteck-Buckelsklinge&rub=20

I have the Herders, they are quite thin (very interesting company btw) and offer quite some value

Just as a thought
Greets
Benjamin

Thanks, for the German links. Those knives are right up my alley too, and I like the handles without bolsters. Btw, Mr Drinky registered at MesserForum to see the photos but after doing so I did not have the right permissions to look at the photos. Their forum rules outran my German language skills ;)

k.

Found these at a estate and thought the handles were just to cool. Heres a few pictures of them.. I dont know if it fits into what your thinking. There just to cool! :)

feather petty, Nakiri, spoons 107.JPG

feather petty, Nakiri, spoons 108.JPG

feather petty, Nakiri, spoons 106.JPG

Hi Dinky,

I think it will be easiest for you to get a consistent set if you have several different blade-smiths provide you blanks of different damascus in a consistent set of dimensions, and then have one single person cut the pattern and grind each down to the right blade profile. A handle maker could apply the handle or scales and pins, then do the final finishing and polishing. This would get you a matching set that has unique steel qualities and flair, yet still look and feel consistent at the table.

The knives you've indicated a preference for have a blade profile much like a spatula, which come from the pastry arena (French and German traditions). To make them useful for a wider range of foods and condiments, adding bit of belly is a good idea (English silver style).

This is a great idea and I'm excited to see it develop.

Best of Luck,
D

Found these at a estate and thought the handles were just to cool. Heres a few pictures of them.. I dont know if it fits into what your thinking. There just to cool! :)

Those handles are really cool.

Mr Drinky

I ordered 2 knives to day: One for me and one for you.
Im sending it to you as soon as I get mine. Its this one:

Ill contact you on your pm for address. This is a gift from me to you, so no charge ;) I might send another one as well, and if both you and I are both satisfied I could join into a order for a better price. I would prefer if Devin did the knives, as I want his stainless damscus on this one. If you agree you can send the knife to him after testing it :)

Sending you a pm when I got the knives :)

Mr Drinky

I ordered 2 knives to day: One for me and one for you.
Im sending it to you as soon as I get mine. Its this one:

Ill contact you on your pm for address. This is a gift from me to you, so no charge ;) I might send another one as well, and if both you and I are both satisfied I could join into a order for a better price. I would prefer if Devin did the knives, as I want his stainless damscus on this one. If you agree you can send the knife to him after testing it :)

Sending you a pm when I got the knives :)

Wow, thanks Ø. That's very generous. And Devin was the first person I brought this up with last summer, but I never got around to refining the idea -- though I did buy some vintage sample knives.

Hi Dinky,

I think it will be easiest for you to get a consistent set if you have several different blade-smiths provide you blanks of different damascus in a consistent set of dimensions, and then have one single person cut the pattern and grind each down to the right blade profile. A handle maker could apply the handle or scales and pins, then do the final finishing and polishing. This would get you a matching set that has unique steel qualities and flair, yet still look and feel consistent at the table.

D

D, that might be a good idea. Get it cut and heat treated and then sent off for the grind and handles.

That handle is amazing and I would LOVE something like that, but I always wonder about that sort of detail and the cost. But thanks for pimping my concept of what is possible ;)

And lastly to the enabler tkern. I just ordered that set from the UK. Good thing I make my own butter ;)

Here is the picture of the ones I got.

k.

butters.jpg

Nice. Don't do anything before involving me then ;)

I don't know if the knives I order for us will be any good in steel. Its wooden knives, and I think the wood gives it more flex than a steel one.
Anyway, I guess I have it within a week, and will ship it to you then :) If the price is right I might go for 2 or 3 knives. Would be fun if we could have a group buy at devin.

Nice. Don't do anything before involving me then ;)

I don't know if the knives I order for us will be any good in steel. Its wooden knives, and I think the wood gives it more flex than a steel one.
Anyway, I guess I have it within a week, and will ship it to you then :) If the price is right I might go for 2 or 3 knives. Would be fun if we could have a group buy at devin.

aren't you on a no buy for all of 2012? Or was that a dream sequence I had?

Back