Opinion about Wüsthof Classic Ikon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if you CAN tell... after all that... just forget about the supposedly nice knife block that will ultimately never fit any other one knife - and just btw little quizz; when sharp of your hands, do you want those knives fitting upside down too? - just don’t buy a set.

I agree with ModRQC,,,, sets are generally a waste. May "look nice" on the kitchen counter, and that's about it. There's usually a couple that are useful and that's it. FWIW, I bought the Wusthof shears, and I completely regretted it. Mind you, they do have a few different models. The one I ordered was simply wayyyy to small for my hands. The handle loops were awful.

If you're not looking simply to impress someone,,,, and you need a good bread knife,,, get the 10" Mercer Millenia bread knife. It's dirt cheap, yet sharp as a scalpel. It's an amazing performer for the money. It was America's test Kitchen's 1st choice in that category.

Add a 3.5" Victorinox paring knife,,,, and the Vic 6" utility knife, plus an 8" or 10" Vic chef's knife, and you've got what amounts to a superb performing collection at an excellent price-point.

Last edited:
I'd highly recommend the Victorinox Rosewood 7.5" chef's knife - it has a much flatter profile than the popular 8" chef's knives, which is great for push cutting. I also like the versatility of the more pointed tip on this than their santoku:

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-2-Inch-Slicer-Rosewood-Handle/dp/B0019X1EIY

Have not looked at Vic's online used to get my Forschners at resturant supply stores here. Liked the old narrow thick boning knives. The Vic. 10.25 wavy edge is a great sandwich knife. The site you posted from Amazon tells little history of Forschners & how they dropped the name now everything is Victorinox. Like they mentioned can be sharpened over & over. Have a soft spot no pun intended for Forschners used chef knives, boning, meat Carver's, slicers, all from Forschner line. They got the job done.

That all changed with Japanese carbon steel. Thinner grinds, better edge retention, easy to get very sharp & touch up quickly on a stone. Very important in a busy production kitchen.

I'd certainly like a reputable J brand making knives in the quality/price bracket of the Victorinox with a better steel. That would be awesome. Think I'd buy them by the crates.

I'd certainly like a reputable J brand making knives in the quality/price bracket of the Victorinox with a better steel. That would be awesome. Think I'd buy them by the crates.
Sign me up when you find them! :D

I picked up that 7.5" Victorinox (that I linked above) for $32, which I think is an awesome value. Sure it's no Japanese knife, but compared to Zwilling / Wusthof price points, it's much cheaper and a better profile for my push cutting style.

Back