Opinion on Bidinger gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teaser
IMG_5329.jpeg

What grinds you got on all these? Dan’s work is killer
From top to bottom of the stack
One side B, medium thin; double B stout; double B medium stout; convex laser; full flat super laser petty, for when the brunoise must be micro.

In my mind, every one is a great example in its class. None are wedgers, all cut very well for their weight class.

Clearly I have a bias, but I’m very happy.

Made this for one guy’s question, may as well share.

That's awesome to hear the Bidinger performed so well! It's always a pleasant surprise when a new knife shines in a head-to-head. Slippery handles can be fixed with some grip tape if needed.

@captaincaed do you have a favorite grind? I have a custom pending (likely a long way out as he is around a 1-year turnaround). I have an A2 B-grind that I adore, but my motivation for a custom is to get something a bit thicker and in magnacut. B vs. S? Thin vs. thick? What has your experience been?

I can't say enough good things about the Bidinger I have. If I had to keep one based purely on performance I think this would be it.

Last edited:
@captaincaed do you have a favorite grind? I have a custom pending (likely a long way out as he is around a 1-year turnaround). I have an A2 B-grind that I adore, but my motivation for a custom is to get something a bit thicker and in magnacut. B vs. S? Thin vs. thick? What has your experience been?

I can't say enough good things about the Bidinger I have. If I had to keep one based purely on performance I think this would be it. Bidinger B, Kamon x Huber, Milan get the bulk of the meal prep at my house. A smaller 9 does the daily chores. Oh the joys of being a knife nut and hitting it lucky on a couple of drops.
Oh nice, congrats! That’s a great thing to look forward to.

I have a thick B, medium B, and thinner 1-sided B. The medium B is the best balance of cutting ease and food release. I use the thinner 1-sided B the most (black handle). I haven’t owned an S-grind, but tried one, and liked it at the time.

I don’t love magnacut in a thick grind. It took an edge, but not a great edge. Lacked tooth. Both Dan and I tried to sharpen it in a way we both liked, and struggled. After some thinning, it’s a monster, zero complaints, holds a toothy edge for months. Listen to Larrin, the sharpening angle really means something. As thin an edge as you can manage before chipping is the goal. I can say with certainty now how much it matters. This is THE SAME piece of steel, same heat treat, same two people trying to sharpen it on the same stones. The performance of the cutting edge was dramatically different depending on how hefty the grind was. This affected how acute the edge bevel could possibly be. This is after a full year of use both before and after the thinning.

A knife I will never part with, so many good memories and feelings attached to it now. That’s my ‘medium’ B-grind with the orange handle. The PA Gabriel did a while back was a medium B, and it’s been my consistent favorite across several knives. I’m less concerned about a knife being ‘teflon’ these days, and just appreciate the bump in food release from the 1-sided B. The huge increase in sharpness feel and cutting ease you get from a thinner knife is what does it for me. The 1 side B just gives it that extra boost in all areas - less drag when cutting, and the improved food release. The full B-grind done into a beefy base grind does release food better, no doubt. But you add in a fatter edge bevel and a high alloy steel, and you can start to see drops in other areas. In a finer grained steel like AEBL this isn’t such an issue, but it mattered in Magnacut. The brown/blue handle is the beefy B in AEBL. No issues.

The red handled knife is a full laser. It feels and works exactly like you’d expect. If you’re leaning toward something thicker, I might not go this route.

Sorry to get rambly. Didn’t have time to write a shorter response 😆

What are you hoping to get out of the next one? What’s the performance goal/use case?

Last edited:
Thoughts on b grind vs fuller?

I feel like the b grind is just one fuller. And then some asymmetric cut out. I wonder how good release compares since it’s a similar strategy just different execution.

You say that the b grind has a “bump “ can’t tell if that is literal (which I don’t think it is based on the pictures) or more figurative like it bumps the food off.

Back