Quantcast

Opinions on J. Jones knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

mano

Founding Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on knives from John Jones from Bangor Maine?

I'm just a few months into kitchen knives so I don't know what to look for. These knives are good looking but the Japanese inspired top knife, in particular seems off in a way I can't explain. The bottom one appeals to me.

Here's what he says about himself:

I am a part time custom knife maker using both forging and stock removal methods. I have also recently started forging my own Damascus to use for my blades. I use a variety of steels including 1084/ 15n20 Damascus, 1095, W-2, 52100, D-2 and 154 CM. All heat treating is carefully done in-house, based on the steel manufacturer’s recommendations, with an Even Heat knife makers kiln and appropriate quench mediums. I also include a leather or Kydex sheath with most of my knives.

Full Length12 Blade Length7 Blade MaterialD2 Tool Steel Handle MaterialStabilized Redwood Burl Bolsters/GuardWrought Iron

Full Length13 inches Blade Length8 inches Blade MaterialForged W2 tool steel with Hamon Handle MaterialStabilzed Maple Burl Bolsters/Guardwrought iron

Full Length14 Blade Length9.25 Blade Material1084 and 15n20 Handle MaterialStabilized Redwood Burl Bolsters/Guard416 Stainless

All knives are sold with a Lifetime Guarantee. If you don’t like a knife that you receive from me, send it back for a full refund. If the quality or performance of the knife does not meet the intended purpose, I will fix or replace the knife free of charge.

cnochef

Reaction score
The bottom knife is getting close, the rest look like kitchen knives made by a hunting knife guy who doesn't fully understand kitchen knives. Sorry to be so brutally honest, but we've seen this many times before.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Founding Member
Reaction score
The talent is there, it will just take a good knowledge of the shapes/grind we all prefer and why.
Definitely on the right path, if you ask me!

mano

Founding Member
Reaction score
All the comments are on the money. I didn't know how to articulate it. It's clear he has skill the WIP shows his passion and willingness to work hard.

Makers who really know how to use the knife in a kitchen are at a distinct advantage.