Opinions on nail flexers and very thin edges

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tried on my Konosuke YS-M, it seems liked a nail flexing edge too, the sharpest OOTB knife I’ve had.
I don’t have any problems when cutting on soft cutting board. But when I tried cutting on crappy wooden cutting board at home, I do find few very tiny micro chips, so maby have to be careful using the right cutting board for the right knife.

I just tried on my Konosuke YS-M, it seems liked a nail flexing edge too, the sharpest OOTB knife I’ve had.
I don’t have any problems when cutting on soft cutting board. But when I tried cutting on crappy wooden cutting board at home, I do find few very tiny micro chips, so maby have to be careful using the right cutting board for the right knife.
Looks like that factory edge is weak.
Give it a complete sharpening and get rid of that edge. Have you got an idea of the used angles?

Looks like that factory edge is weak.
Give it a complete sharpening and get rid of that edge. Have you got an idea of the used angles?
Maby is not about the thinness of the edge, it’s about the steel and hardness that affects weakness.

I just tried on my others knives, I’m surprised most of my knives have that visual nail flexing. Even my everything day fish bone chopping gyuto.

Maby is not about the thinness of the edge, it’s about the steel and hardness that affects weakness.

I just tried on my others knives, I’m surprised most of my knives have that visual nail flexing. Even my everything day fish bone chopping gyuto.
I'm sure it has not to do with the general geometry. It seems related to the very edge: too low angles, fatigued steel or both.

Back