Opinions on sharpening systems?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
looking at sharpening systems like the Edge Pro, where it clamps on the knife and uses a little whetstone that you grind it with. I know there are a lot of purists who would say only use stones. But do these systems really work well? I have some new R2 and VG10 japanese knives and i might be a little scared when it comes time to sharpening it XD i just dont want to mess it up. Ive tried using my 1k stone on my german knife many times and it gets a little wavy towards the tip and i know im not doing it perfectly well.

There are plenty of discussions on this topic. Have you tried the search function?

Sharpening a kitchen knife is more than putting an edge at the end of a piece of steel. You want the bevels to form a continuous arc with the blade's faces. In the case of Japanese knives please be aware of their asymmetry. Left face flatter, right one convexed, edge off-centered to the left. If you were to ignore the blade's geometry and put a symmetric edge on it, expect crazy steering and wedging after a few sharpenings. You better start the sharpening by thinning behind the edge, as the new edge will be located in a thicker part of the blade.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/a-basic-explanation-of-asymmetry.33951/

As noted there are a lot of threads on this subject - largely because it's somewhat subjective, some forums are strong advocates of "systems" (not coincidently forums that sell such systems) and newcomers may view a "system" as a shortcut to proficiency.

To grossly summarize previous threads: Most here prefer rubbing their blades on rocks. Thinning and tip work are not done well on "systems", nor are single bevels. Using a real rock may seem intimidating but in very short order one can achieve the first measure of proficiency - the knife is sharper when you're done than when you started. And then you start to get good at it.

I started sharpening with an Edge pro, but moved on to free hand. The Edge Pro worked ok, but it was just too much hazzle to setup and use for the most part.

I started with oil stones and switched to a Worksharp Ken Onion because it was faster.

I started sharpening with an Edge pro, but moved on to free hand. The Edge Pro worked ok, but it was just too much hazzle to setup and use for the most part.

Same here, although I still do pull out the EdgePro occasionally. As sharpening systems go I think the EdgePro is one of the better ones but the small contact area (true of most jig systems) is one limitation.

Back