Opitmal edge for katsuramuki

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by wbusby1, Jan 4, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jan 4, 2018 #1

wbusby1

wbusby1

wbusby1

Doing some more katsuramuki and I realize I haven't tried many different edge finishers for my watanabe usuba. I've almost exclusively used a hideriyama and am wondering if there's something better? The hideriyama is roughly 9k with considerable bite for that level of finish. I could use a harder stone like a meara (super hard, 5k ish) or an okudo suita (hard, 5k ish), a kitayama synth (8k, smoother edge with almost no bite), a ohira suita (a little harder than hirderiyama but also a little coarser edge feel, 7k ish w/ more bite). I could strop after the stone.... what do people here recommend/use? If total smoothness is the goal, I should probably try the kitayama synth. I wanted to ask before trying these out myself because results with jnats always very and depending on what it was sharpened on before since I only ever do light touch ups and etc etc

-->What's the optimal edge for katsuramuki? and what stones or qualities in stones / strops do you look for to achieve this edge?

2. Jan 4, 2018 #2

cheflivengood

cheflivengood

cheflivengood

I just try to get as sharp as possible with very minimum micro bevel. Thinness is just as important as sharpness

3. Jan 4, 2018 #3

unprofessional_chef

unprofessional_chef

unprofessional_chef

A micro bevel will give the edge more Toughness at the expense of sharpness.

I've never done katsuramuki but it looks like the cut needs to be thin and clean. You'll want to finish on a fine stone that will leave very fine teeth. Because a small sawing motion is needed.

4. Jan 5, 2018 #4

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member

Thanks, I was wondering the same thing and thinking along those lines.

Draft saved Draft deleted